Hi all, I learned that there is a supercharger availabe from Ford Racing that will bring my 2015 GT up to 650+ HP. Some questions from a newbie:
1) can it be installed on an automatic?
2) gas already goes mighty quickly. Should I expect with a supercharger it will go a lot faster? Can i "turn it off" when wanting to save gas?
3) i assume it doesnt matter that the car is leased
4) should i not blow $7900 on a supercharger and wait for the custom tune instead (still waiting california legal approval)
5) is the car (annoyingly) louder with a supercharger?
6) anything else I should know before I get it installed?
This is just my personal opinion, but I would stay far away from the Ford Racing Supercharger (SC). Here are the reasons:
1. You have to grind tabs off the block. Just the thought of this makes me want to sweat bullets.
2. You have to cut the 'K' Brace. Again, I'm sweating bullets!
You would think that with Ford Racing, they would have come up with a better design since they are a subsidiary of Ford.
3. They don't have anything available for an automatic. Why do other manufacturers?
4. It's a roots style blower which will have higher heat build up compared to a twin screw or turbo. For this reason, you will DEFINITELY need an intercooler.
You can get a much better performing SC from Whipple, which is a twin screw compared to Ford Racing roots style, and there is absolutely NO cutting, grinding, or modification that needs to be done! Again, heat build up will be much lower in a twin screw SC compared to a roots style SC. Heat is the number one cause of engine failure.
Answers to your questions:
1. Yes, Whipple makes a SC for an automatic.
2. You cannot turn "off" a SC. It has a belt which will always turn the the screws.
3. Not sure, ask Ford directly. Why would you invest that kind of money into a lease car???
4. Again, why invest money into a lease car???
5. You will hear a slight whine. You will hear MUCH MORE whine with a roots style SC.
6. Think seriously before investing in a lease car and go buy one to play around with.