Supercharger questions for 2015 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Supercharger questions for 2015 Mustang GT

@raysmust fyi
Hi all, I learned that there is a supercharger availabe from Ford Racing that will bring my 2015 GT up to 650+ HP. Some questions from a newbie:

1) can it be installed on an automatic?
2) gas already goes mighty quickly. Should I expect with a supercharger it will go a lot faster? Can i "turn it off" when wanting to save gas?
3) i assume it doesnt matter that the car is leased
4) should i not blow $7900 on a supercharger and wait for the custom tune instead (still waiting california legal approval)
5) is the car (annoyingly) louder with a supercharger?
6) anything else I should know before I get it installed?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015
OFFICIAL FORD RACING (FRPP) PARTS TECH.

Garage
The kit for an Automatic is not available yet

If you drive it normal the gas mileage will not drop that much

The car will not be any louder than it is now with the supercharger

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
The only way to "turn it off" is to keep your foot out of it... It takes a lot of self control to do that though Hearing that whine is addicting...

2015 50th Anniversary Deep Impact Blue

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw232562 View Post
@raysmust fyi
Hi all, I learned that there is a supercharger availabe from Ford Racing that will bring my 2015 GT up to 650+ HP. Some questions from a newbie:

2) gas already goes mighty quickly. Should I expect with a supercharger it will go a lot faster? Can i "turn it off" when wanting to save gas?
4) should i not blow $7900 on a supercharger and wait for the custom tune instead (still waiting california legal approval)

Thanks!!
1. Was already answered by raysmust
2. Gas mileage will drop minimal overall if you stay off the gas pedal hard.
3. This is a tricky question and most important you should contact the dealership to discuss. Also at the end of the lease do you plan to buy it? If not you will either have to spend money to take it off or lose it when you turn it in.
4. Being legal is a factor. I would want to not have to worry about it.
5. Won't be much louder, but you will hear a whine
6. It is awesome and totally worth it in my opinion.

I just recently took a ride in a 2015 Supercharged mustang laying down 650+ and it was awesome!

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone! @raysmust any idea when the supercharger will be available for automatic, or when the tuner will be available as well?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Had my 670 hp Roush for four weeks now and love the power. Can barely hear the whine over the exhaust, TVS lot quieter than the old M90 three lobe blower. Knowing what the power was going to be, I went with the 3.31 rear gear vs the 3.73 I had in last blown car (2013 w/575 hp). Mileage - just made a 120 mile trip on interstate, 73 mph and got 28.7 mpg. That's only running at 1850 rpm. Keep foot out of it if your worried about gas.
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015
OFFICIAL FORD RACING (FRPP) PARTS TECH.

Garage
Quote:
Thanks everyone! @raysmust any idea when the supercharger will be available for automatic, or when the tuner will be available as well?
I don't have a hard date yet, I am guessing some time in the fourth quarter this year.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015
Rookie

Good to know. I'll most likely be picking up one for my 15 GT premium convertible when they're available for automatic transmissions

Current: Steeda Springs (lowered 1" all around) | JLT CAI | SCT X4 Tune | Roush Axle-Back Exhausts (w/ x-pipe) | Diode Dynamics Interior Blue LED Light Kit & Reverse LED Bulb | 20% tint | CDC Outlaw Spoiler | Roush Hood Scoop

TODO: Roush Quarter Panel Side Scoop (09/09/15) | Roush Complete Front Fascia Kit (09/09/15) | Red Calipers Paint (09/09/15) | Roush Rocker Winglets (09/09/15) | Roush Heat Extractors (09/09/15) | Roush 627HP SC KIT (Sept/Oct 2015)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015
PONY Member

MMR is listing a Kenne Bell supercharger, adjustable from 650 to 800hp, $6499.99 Looks to be a nice unit!
Rookie

Quote:
@raysmust fyi

Thanks!!
This is just my personal opinion, but I would stay far away from the Ford Racing Supercharger (SC). Here are the reasons:

1. You have to grind tabs off the block. Just the thought of this makes me want to sweat bullets.
2. You have to cut the 'K' Brace. Again, I'm sweating bullets! You would think that with Ford Racing, they would have come up with a better design since they are a subsidiary of Ford.
3. They don't have anything available for an automatic. Why do other manufacturers?
4. It's a roots style blower which will have higher heat build up compared to a twin screw or turbo. For this reason, you will DEFINITELY need an intercooler.

You can get a much better performing SC from Whipple, which is a twin screw compared to Ford Racing roots style, and there is absolutely NO cutting, grinding, or modification that needs to be done! Again, heat build up will be much lower in a twin screw SC compared to a roots style SC. Heat is the number one cause of engine failure.

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes, Whipple makes a SC for an automatic.
2. You cannot turn "off" a SC. It has a belt which will always turn the the screws.
3. Not sure, ask Ford directly. Why would you invest that kind of money into a lease car???
4. Again, why invest money into a lease car???
5. You will hear a slight whine. You will hear MUCH MORE whine with a roots style SC.
6. Think seriously before investing in a lease car and go buy one to play around with.

Ordered 2015 GT Vert in Race Red, with the 401A Equipment Group, Ebony interior, 6-Speed Select Shift Auto, 3.55 Ratio Limited Slip Axle, 20" Foundry Black Aluminum Wheels, Reverse Park Assist, and Voice-Activated Nav.

Salesman forgot to mention there was a stand alone interior option called "Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Mitigation and Rain-Sensing Wipers." I had no idea it existed, which I would have also wanted.

Last edited by TOPPLUS; 08-18-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page