Dealer wants to dye ruined seats - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 19kobra99

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Dealer wants to dye ruined (by dealer) seats

So my 2015 Mustang has ruined seat bottoms from some sort of abuse at the dealership. I'm terrified of what kind of work went on, and why, in my car to have ruined the seats.

One seat has drips that ruined the leather and make it now a gray instead of black where the drips occurred. The other seat has two giant side-by-side scratches down the leather that are permanent.

So, in usual fashion, the dealer (D-Patrick Ford) is a scammer who refuses to be upstanding and just replace the seat covers that they ruined. The dealer wants to "dye" the leather as a fix, which is ridiculous and entirely unacceptable to me. Ford CS has basically abandoned me and said they aren't experts on interior repair and that the dealer is trying to help me, which is a typical response from Ford from my experience.

So at this point I'm furious about my brand new car. There is no question that I've been wronged and that the solution proposed by the dealer, and approved by Ford, is outrageous and unacceptable.

I am now reviewing the expense of paying out of pocket, on my brand new car, to replace both seat bottom covers. Before I pay it, I want to ask if anyone has experience with dying leather on a brand new seat and if it sounds as ridiculous as it does to me.

And for those who will blame me for accepting the car in this condition, it was dark under a roof where they put the car when I picked it up. Because the interior was filthy I just assumed it was smudges that I saw. I have this bizarre problem where I trust people to do the right thing and figured there was no way they were selling me a car with ruined seats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMAZ View Post
So my 2015 Mustang has ruined seat bottoms from some sort of abuse at the dealership. I'm terrified of what kind of work went on, and why, in my car to have ruined the seats.

One seat has drips that ruined the leather and make it now a gray instead of black where the drips occurred. The other seat has two giant side-by-side scratches down the leather that are permanent.

So, in usual fashion, the dealer (D-Patrick Ford) is a scammer who refuses to be upstanding and just replace the seat covers that they ruined. The dealer wants to "dye" the leather as a fix, which is ridiculous and entirely unacceptable to me. Ford CS has basically abandoned me and said they aren't experts on interior repair and that the dealer is trying to help me, which is a typical response from Ford from my experience.

So at this point I'm furious about my brand new car. There is no question that I've been wronged and that the solution proposed by the dealer, and approved by Ford, is outrageous and unacceptable.

I am now reviewing the expense of paying out of pocket, on my brand new car, to replace both seat bottom covers. Before I pay it, I want to ask if anyone has experience with dying leather on a brand new seat and if it sounds as ridiculous as it does to me.

And for those who will blame me for accepting the car in this condition, it was dark under a roof where they put the car when I picked it up. Because the interior was filthy I just assumed it was smudges that I saw. I have this bizarre problem where I trust people to do the right thing and figured there was no way they were selling me a car with ruined seats.

I am confused by a few statements here.
1. Did you buy it like this?
2. If so why was the interior filthy when you are taking delivery after just buying a NEW car?

As far as dying I haven't experienced that, but if that is what they are willing to do and that is all the are willing to do at this time I would let them do it and see how it turns out. If it turns out well then move on and NEVER go back to that dealer. If it doesn't turn out well then proceed to the next solution until it is acceptable.

I do have to state the obvious here though if you bought it like this. Buyers need to beware and always check a new or used car from top to bottom as nobody is going to look out for you better than you.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015
Apprentice

There's a member on many of the Mustang forums, Deysha, that is a customer service representative for Ford. I'd search for her, and get in touch. I'm sure she'll be able to help out with whatever problem you have.

Personally, I would escalate as far as I could, and not just take the dealer's word for it. Dyeing the seats certainly won't fix the scratches, and what I see look like wear marks.

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Deysha can't do sh*t at this point. Ford is trying to tell me that the dealer is trying, but I am holding them up. There's not one person who sees this thread that can tell me they'd be OK with their dealer and Ford saying that dying a ruined seat is acceptable.

It's just another ridiculous debacle that I only deal with when I buy a Ford. It's sad. I have a garage with two Ford Mustangs, and I'm going to get reamed again out of probably $1K to fix a brand new car. Typical.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Deysha can't do sh*t at this point. Ford is trying to tell me that the dealer is trying, but I am holding them up. There's not one person who sees this thread that can tell me they'd be OK with their dealer and Ford saying that dying a ruined seat is acceptable.

It's just another ridiculous debacle that I only deal with when I buy a Ford. It's sad. I have a garage with two Ford Mustangs, and I'm going to get reamed again out of probably $1K to fix a brand new car. Typical.
Seems you are very pissed off. So I debated even commenting again... Hope to help you and not piss you off worse. So here it goes...

Why do you say Deysha can't help? The more people and higher up you go can't hurt...

Also like I said originally let them dye it and if not up to standards for a new car then tell them they need to make it right. I find it very hard to believe that if the dye doesn't work that Ford is just going to tell you to deal with it. You just bought a new car and they know and admit it isn't right. They are trying to correct the problem and while it might not work they think it will so let them and when it doesn't work ask them what is next and let them do it until it is right and up to your/reasonable standards.

Their is a such thing as a lemon law although idk if that would apply to seats being scuffed by the dealer or not... Might want to read up on that or maybe somebody will chime in.

Either way this is a new car and has a bumper to bumper warranty. Also the dealer is admitting the seats aren't right so that is a good sign that they will make it right. They could have just said you did it once you got home and not there problem as from what I understand you didn't notice until after it was already off their lot, right? I can seem some dealerships pushing the blame off them and on to the buyer. Then this situation would be really bad. By them admitting it isn't right and proposing a solution I really think they will make it right. Might take them a few tries, but welcome to working with a big corporate company. Sometimes the try things that seem cheaper in hopes it works.

Idk how long you have had the car, but if you haven't put a lot of miles on it ask them if they can unroll the deal and that you want a different one that isn't messed up. Or shoot even easier ask them to trade the seats out of yours to a different one on the lot if they think they can fix them...

I wish you luck and hope all works out and you end up happy. You say you have two Mustangs. Did you have issues with it when you bought it? If so sounds like you need to go to a different Dealership.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015
Apprentice

Let them dye it and then wear light colored pants and drive on a hot Saturday afternoon. Hopefully the dye will bleed and then drive to the dealership and ask to see the dealer principle and show him your stained ass. He'll make them put new covers on the car. If it doesn't bleed and the color matches then you'll be fine. Remember the leather is dyed there aren't black to start with. Just my .02. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MustangLife likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Sadly, I believe I'm reduced to this, but the dealer is three hours away and they are saying I can only go on Wednesday. Hello butt holes, I work thank you. It's a major PITA just to prove them wrong and have to go all the way back again.

At this point the GM and the manager of the entire chain of dealerships (D-Patrick) won't even return my call. They're just rotten scammers that sell bad stuff and screw people over. Then they walk away and challenge you to sue them over a seat. I just can't believe anyone does business like this.

And to answer the other poster, my other Mustang was delivered by another dealer in perfect condition. It took me three years to work out mechanical and other defect issues, but it wasn't damaged in any way.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015
Rookie

I work at a dealer as a ford tech, if you go by the warranty guidelines for leather ford WILL NOT cover that. You're right, something got on the seat and was allowed to soak into the leather. The reason the dealer just doesn't replace the cover is simple. It'll cost them close to a grand. I bet you that bottom seat cover is 550-800 dealer cost, combine that with the 2.0hrs that seat will pay the tech on customer pay time and it's easy to see why they just want to dye it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015
PONY Member

I don't blame you for being upset. I bought my 07 GT used and the tan drivers side seat had a bruise or rub on it and it was sent for repair. It looked like spray paint was used to fix it and they tried to blend it in with the rest of the seat. I had it for a while and then the finish started to peel off. I found out which company did it and took it back to them. The owner remembered doing it, took responsibility and fixed it again saying it wasn't done right. At least they stood behind their work. So they fixed it again and it was better but it is nothing like new and unfortunately you will probably always see it. You'll have to try this repair first. who knows - maybe it will work and it will be fine. Good luck. Not a pleasant experience especially on a new vehicle.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awtblo View Post
I work at a dealer as a ford tech, if you go by the warranty guidelines for leather ford WILL NOT cover that. You're right, something got on the seat and was allowed to soak into the leather. The reason the dealer just doesn't replace the cover is simple. It'll cost them close to a grand. I bet you that bottom seat cover is 550-800 dealer cost, combine that with the 2.0hrs that seat will pay the tech on customer pay time and it's easy to see why they just want to dye it.
Thanks for the feedback, however sobering it is. They ruined the seat and should have to fix it. End of story.

Anyway, are you familiar with this proposed dying process and possible outcome?
Apprentice

Look tell the service manager they can replace the seats with new bottoms or you'll take them to small claims for the maximum value and include emotional distress. If that does not get the message across the dealer then contact a law firm and sue them or if you're intelligent and can hold your own in a court room, sue them in small claims by yourself.

You'll need to provide evidence that this happened at the dealership and provide evidence stating why dying is not an ample repair.

The Ford Tech is right it's going to cost the dealer a few grand out of pocket to replace those seat bottoms. Thus they do not want to replace them.

I own 2 dry cleaners and I'm curious what they might have got on the seats to have caused that. The leather could be damaged beyond repair. I would have to see it in real life to be able to tell you.Depending on what bleached the leather it might still be in the leather. That means even if they dye it over time it will fade again and possibly crack the leather. It's a short term fix that will only hide the problem.

I should warn you suing them might not work, if the dealer can make the case that dying them is an ample repair you will lose and the judge will only order them to dye the seats.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The seat bottom is $475 and a local place that my Ford dealer here in town (not the offending dealer) referred me to will switch the driver out for $90. I'm just going to bite the bullet and move on. The passenger side I'll just have to live with. It is not half as bad and barely noticeable.

I appreciate the advice, but I just have too much going on to sue people right now. I don't have the energy and need to try to stay relaxed.
PONY Member

Garage
I would let them dye the seats, as others have suggested. If the finished product is not to your liking, then take it further up the chain. I wouldn't pay out of my pocket until I had no other choice. Just my opinion. Good luck with your situation.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

PONY Member
2.3L Member

For $575, with free shipping you could get the whole set. 2015 Ford Mustang Fastback OEM Take-Off leather interior Seat Kit

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, however sobering it is. They ruined the seat and should have to fix it. End of story.

Anyway, are you familiar with this proposed dying process and possible outcome?

If the person doing the dye repair is good it can actually come out un noticeable, I don't think I would be happy in your situation I do electronic and upholstery but the cars we do dye on are older cars with the original color fading on the leather but yes it is possible for it to look good as new and not be noticeable, it's also possible to screw it up bad. I would reluctantly let them try and if it's perfect call it a day and a lesson about the dealer and if it looks bad then keep pushing them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page