Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kestral
  • 1 Post By TigerSN95guy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Tire Suggestions?

Hey All,

Looking to purchase new tires for at least the rear of my 2015 GT performance pack. Like a lot of others, I am having bad traction issues and my rear end is all over the place. Doesn't help that this time of year where I live is quite cool until another month or so...

Question I have is, what is the largest rear tire size I can run on my stock 19x9's? Second question is, if I replace the rears, could I move the stock 275 rears to the front without any ride/rubbing issues in the front? I should also mention that I have just lowered it 1" via Steeda progressive springs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to dump $$ in to tires without it being justifiable. The shop I spoke with today recommended a Nitto Invo 285 for the rear, which seem to have good reviews on AM.com.

15' Mustang GT Performance
Corsa Sport Catback
Steeda Progressive Springs (1")
Airaid CAI
More to come...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Summer tires from Michelin, Bridgestone and Continental are all popular choices. I'd buy any one of them over a Nitto tire.

Just curious, how are you driving that the back of your car is "all over the place"? Weather conditions?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I suspect its the cool weather. Roads are dry, but the cool is likely a major contributing factor. When I floor it in 1st/2nd I am getting a ton of wheel hop and poor traction.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016
Apprentice

I had a similar issue here in Western MA with both the spring and faul being cold at times sunny out but 50F or even 40F at times and my summer only Perellis breaking loose quite often and at times the car could be downright dangerous. After extensive reading and not really wanting to spend big $ on new tires I decided to try some Cooper Zenon RS3A tires the (A) stands for all season although the word all is subjective I don't drive my car in the winter and if I did I would run winter tires and wheels.

Ok so what difference did I notice with the coopers. My cold weather dry grip say from 60F on down is significantly better and I'm talking a big difference in grip. As far as hot tire hot day dry grip the only advantage I notice from the summer only performance tires I had is if I was driving on hot tires in 85+F heat the summer only tires have marginally more grip. The coopers are hands down way better in the rain.

By the way the Coopers are reasonable to purchase and I am running 255/40/19 stock size.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
I had a similar issue here in Western MA with both the spring and faul being cold at times sunny out but 50F or even 40F at times and my summer only Perellis breaking loose quite often and at times the car could be downright dangerous. After extensive reading and not really wanting to spend big $ on new tires I decided to try some Cooper Zenon RS3A tires the (A) stands for all season although the word all is subjective I don't drive my car in the winter and if I did I would run winter tires and wheels.

Ok so what difference did I notice with the coopers. My cold weather dry grip say from 60F on down is significantly better and I'm talking a big difference in grip. As far as hot tire hot day dry grip the only advantage I notice from the summer only performance tires I had is if I was driving on hot tires in 85+F heat the summer only tires have marginally more grip. The coopers are hands down way better in the rain.

By the way the Coopers are reasonable to purchase and I am running 255/40/19 stock size.
I find the stock P-Zeros an OK tire at best and will be replacing them eventually. You are running 255's on the back of your 5.0 and have traction WOT 1st and 2nd? That's impressive if you are hooking up and must be a great tire! I have the performance pack with 275's and my rear hopping all over the place. I did notice someone mention that they had better traction in sport+ mode, which I can attest to. In sport mode I see a pretty big difference in traction. Although still far from perfect, much better than normal mode.

I talked to the guys at Steeda yesterday as well (recently installed progressive springs & love them) and recommended the 'wheel hop kit.' They swear by it and based on some of the reviews I have read, something I will definitely be doing eventually as well. The kit in its entirety is around $1,300 CAD and should resolve most of, if not all of the issue.

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang...-all-555-2129/

It was a relatively warm (springish) day yesterday and WOT in 2nd merging on to highway, I found my rear end almost sideways. I will likely hold off until things warm up to see if things improve with time/heat as this is the first summer I will be driving the car, but would love some nasty 295's or 315's on the back eventually.

Last edited by brettzo; 03-18-2016 at 03:42 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettzo View Post
I find the stock P-Zeros an OK tire at best and will be replacing them eventually. You are running 255's on the back of your 5.0 and have traction WOT 1st and 2nd? That's impressive if you are hooking up and must be a great tire! I have the performance pack with 275's and my rear hopping all over the place. I did notice someone mention that they had better traction in sport+ mode, which I can attest to. In sport mode I see a pretty big difference in traction. Although still far from perfect, much better than normal mode.

I talked to the guys at Steeda yesterday as well (recently installed progressive springs & love them) and recommended the 'wheel hop kit.' They swear by it and based on some of the reviews I have read, something I will definitely be doing eventually as well. The kit in its entirety is around $1,300 CAD and should resolve most of, if not all of the issue.

Steeda Mustang Ultimate IRS 'Stop the Hop' Package (2015-2016 All) | 555-2129 | Free Shipping!

It was a relatively warm (springish) day yesterday and WOT in 2nd merging on to highway, I found my rear end almost sideways. I will likely hold off until things warm up to see if things improve with time/heat as this is the first summer I will be driving the car, but would love some nasty 295's or 315's on the back eventually.
You mention breaking loose in 1 & 2 under full power and this was a concern when I was going to switch to any tire in the stock size. I was going to go wider since frankly I believe the car could use a wider tire out back but I really wanted to rotate them so I stayed stock size.

The Coopers can still brake loose but seem to do so much less then the Factory Pzeros that came with the car. There is a guy on another forum that went with the Coopers RS3A's one size wider and he gets no spin at all in 1st and 2nd under full power and that's impressive for an all season tire.

Interesting to note about the Coopers they feel like sandpaper since they have a real high silca rubber compound (sand) they feel like sandpaper on the tread. Just different I guess.

Overall I am impressed with the tire esp when the temp drops. If I lived in Fla or someplace where it stays much warmer I would go with a dedicated summer tire but for the northeast where it's cool one day and warm the next the Cooper RS3A is just about perfect.

Hope this helps
brettzo likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TigerSN95guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettzo View Post

Steeda Mustang Ultimate IRS 'Stop the Hop' Package (2015-2016 All) | 555-2129 | Free Shipping!
I just installed the "bushing support system" (the one that's mostly aluminum washers) and no B.S. 70% of my hop is gone!! the reviews aren't lying. i have the differential bushings on my kitchen table right now, just need the opportunity to put them in. If you're on a pretty tight budget like i am, the aluminum washer gig is pretty good. trust me, you won't be dissatisfied. but i'm going through and buying those pieces in the kit one at a time as i can afford them. would recommend focusing on the bushing supports and the subframe braces.
brettzo likes this.

2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack (i think calling it the performance package was just dumb)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerSN95guy View Post
I just installed the "bushing support system" (the one that's mostly aluminum washers) and no B.S. 70% of my hop is gone!! the reviews aren't lying. i have the differential bushings on my kitchen table right now, just need the opportunity to put them in. If you're on a pretty tight budget like i am, the aluminum washer gig is pretty good. trust me, you won't be dissatisfied. but i'm going through and buying those pieces in the kit one at a time as i can afford them. would recommend focusing on the bushing supports and the subframe braces.
Definitely a little pricey for the whole kit. Thanks for the info. I may have to try that first.

15' Mustang GT Performance
Corsa Sport Catback
Steeda Progressive Springs (1")
Airaid CAI
More to come...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page