2010 GT 500 vs C8 Corvette - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
2020 GT 500 vs C8 Corvette

With the launch of the C8 Corvette, there has been a barrage of comparison between the C8 & the new GT500.

Sure you can compare anything, however since the dawn of the muscle car wars, the Mustang has never been (and in IMHO) and will never be a "direct competitor" of the Corvette. Even Ford and GM recognize this. Mustang competes with Camaro AND Corvette competes with Ford GT (or Viper for that matter). Muscle vs. Muscle -- Super vs. Super. It's logical and makes sense.

What I find particularly intriguing is that the new GT500 makes 700+ HP, albeit with 1 FULL LESS LITER than GM or FCA products making similar HP (some less, some more). 760HP - 625TQ for those who salivate on facts!

What this tells me is that Ford has designed a MUCH more highly advanced engine, because it can meet and/or best it's alleged competition with LESS cubic inches. Interesting thought isn't it? Just imagine the new GT500 engine as a 6.2L, 6.4L or even 7.0L!?!? Surely the blue oval would catapult to 4 digit horsepower levels easily; and perhaps that's why they choose to sandbag.........for now.

Cheers!

Last edited by Radical540; 08-23-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019
PONY Member

Its just a design philosphy; Small displacement that you rev to the moon to make the power or larger displacement that makes the power lower in the rpm range. One is not better than the other but you could argue that the dual overhead cam Ford motor is more complicated and expensive to manufacture.

I have always been a proponent of low rpm power for a street car, it is much more useable.

If Ford was to increase the HP to be higher than GM or FCA they would respond and especially Dodge would jump right past Ford again. But all three are walking a fine line right now, go too much higher in power and the government will step in and legislate limits.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

you are talking about the 2020 GT500, not 2010, right?

big difference is the GT500 is supercharged and the C8 Corvette (base) engine is not . . . and if it was, it would make a lot more power . . . so the big "advance" in the GT500 is the supercharger

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
you are talking about the 2020 GT500, not 2010, right?

big difference is the GT500 is supercharged and the C8 Corvette (base) engine is not . . . and if it was, it would make a lot more power . . . so the big "advance" in the GT500 is the supercharger
Most certainly 2020, my mistake. I've corrected the typo.

The whole focus of my rant about comparisons is this; comparing the Mustang to the Corvette is inaccurate.
Forever and always, the direct competition of Mustang (acknowledged by Ford & GM both) will be Camaro.
End of story.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

No worries, it's a fun conversation, what else do we have to talk about? :-)

Agreed a "technical" comparison of GT500 versus Corvette isn't the most direct comparison . . . but they do compete for the same buyers' money so in that respect it could be meaningful. If I was in the market for a GT500, I would also consider a Corvette for sure. The big difference used to be that the GT500 had a back seat, but now for practical purposes it really is a two-seater which makes it a more direct competitor for the Corvette . . . in addition to the Camaro and Challenger and maybe Viper???

For the engine comparison, horsepower per liter was a big deal back in the day . . . but today I think other comparisons are more meaningful; like HP/weight ratio or HP/total engine volume for packaging reasons. If you can stuff more HP into a smaller space, that is more meaningful than how much displacement the engine has. Another good one would be fuel efficiency, not sure where they stand on that.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
. If you can stuff more HP into a smaller space, that is more meaningful than how much displacement the engine has.
GM has that one won hands down. The LS engines are physically the smallest and lightest of the big three V8s.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page