hopefully the ultimate answer to "why is my mileage bad?" - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003 Thread Starter
Banned

hopefully the ultimate answer to "why is my mileage bad?"

ok, MANY people ask why they get bad milage, and I hope to answer it, feel free to add to this post!

Parts only last so long.....

plugs, about 35,000-50,000 (carb) or 50,000-100,000(efi) miles
wires, 75,000-100,000 miles
cap/rotor 80,000-100,000 miles
O2 sensors 50,000-270,000 (I am still on my ORIGIONAL O2's, however I clean mine with carb cleaner)
timing is adjusted properly
high enough octane? just cause it wil run on 87, does not mean that it will run good
are your tires propperly inflated? this can hurt you allot!
are you driving more than 5 miles at a time? You will see an improvement if you drive 30 miles in traffic over 4 miles on the street
what is your gear ratio? a 3.73 is better around town, but a 3.27 is great for the highway....
what are your shift points? try short shifting, racers use it to conseve fuel.
also, roll into the throttle, a lead foot eats gas, and is hard on the car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to GhostDog 5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to GhostDog 5.0
Forgot the fuel filter, air filter, and pcv valve. Cheap to replace and can breathe new life.

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003 Thread Starter
Banned

THANK YOU!!!! I knew I forgot something!

K&N says to clean the filter every 30,000 miles, fuel filter,I do it every 15,000, and PCV valve, 50-100,000 miles

plus, are the plugs gapped propperly, and for older cars, check the condensor and points in the distributor

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003

i should change my fuel filter.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003

Fuel filter is probaly what it is but,check your 02 sensor's,pcv valve
too be safe for the live of your stang.Oil change's every 2000-3000
mile's.

Last edited by GTRaptor; 03-25-2003 at 12:46 AM.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003
Mana4Real

I think your replacement intervals are a lil high there...
Those are maximum replacement intervals... or something like that. You should actually replace many of those parts before that. I'm too drunk to go into detail right now...

We were talking about makin it a sticky... So I stuck it We should get some good posts on it. I'll post some stuff later.

Last edited by Mana4Real; 02-11-2003 at 02:48 PM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to Vortex
You also forgot to clean your Throttle Air Bypass on the side of the throttle body every time you're under the hood... pull it, hose it down with T/B cleaner and then hit it with some WD-40 to keep it from clogging again and to lubricate the rod inside.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003

gains can also be found in running synthetics from front to back.

enjoyin the new 4.10s....will get mpg info soon.

E
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003
4.6L Member

i go with 98 octane, we have pretty high octane fuel here so..98 is goooood!!..hehe..by the way whats the PCV valve??

later
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003 Thread Starter
Banned

Artic, I know loathe you for your ability to get good fuel :p as for the PCV valve, it is a little thing that vents the Preasure of the Crankcase in the form of a Valve. it is on the valve cover on a carbed engine and on the back of the lower intake on a EFI 5.0, I am not sure about other EFI engines
4.6L Member

hey Twister, thanks, maby I´ll send a send some good fuel over .. but on the other hand a gallon of fuel over here costs about 4-5 bucks..soo.. ..
2.3L Member

actually, higher octane isn't always better. to get a higher octane rating, they put alot of extra crap in it that ain't good for you engine.
5.0L Member

best way to get good gas milage is to ride with a hot girl. free trip and good view too
4.6L Member

cheaper gas isnt watered down... it just combusts at a different temperature .... the higher the octane the higher the igniting temp... you have to get the right octane so the fuel combust at the right time... too high and it will burn up late and rob you of poer.. yes you will pay more and lose power... thats y i switched to regular... the car dosent ping or detonate... it;s all good and still nice and cheap... if you feel like it some fuel injector cleaner can help every now and then.
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RiceBurner
best way to get good gas milage is to ride with a hot girl. free trip and good view too
Nice!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page