My Clutch Question? w/pic's - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005 Thread Starter

My Clutch Question? w/pic's

If you look at the pic's I have attatched hopefully it will help explain my question. The first 3 pic's give you an idea of where it is Im looking on the car "Front of the car's engine compartment" . The last one is a picture of what I've been told is where the "Throw out bearing cable" goes. It looks like it would only be about 4 maybe 5 inches long. The clutch pedal has no presure what so ever. I just replaced the clutch, and flywheel about 2 months ago and I was parking the car and something snaped , its not the main cable I can see that one connected. The car Im working on is a 1988 Mustang LX 2.3L I got the car for free and Im just trying to get it running again. Any suggestions/info will help.

Thanks AFM readers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00038.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	6762   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00039.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	6763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00040.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	6764   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00030.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	6765  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Maybe the cable snapped at the midle, pull the cable from under the pedal, if it comes out..there you have it.

I think its the cable.

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Skinny Mechanic

If you're as big as I am (6'1", 240#), you will hate to do what I'm suggesting, but...

Crawl headfirst into the footwell with a flashlight and examine the clutch pedal all the way to the attachment point where the yoke and pedal mate up. Watch what happens as you depress the clutch pedal (last time I did this, I had to remove the seat or else risk injury to my back, so be warned if you are of the large persuasion or lack small friends). If the cable is loose or the yoke is unpinned, there's your problem.

Several things could have happened to the cable:

1. It failed - this happens, and sometimes a new clutch can require more pressure to function than an old cable will sustain. Time to buy new cable at the dealer. Was the pedal a lot firmer or harder to depress than the original? If so, you might have a problem with the clutch install, alignment of shafts, wrong parts (particularly seals and bearings - you did replace the throw-out bearing, right?), etc. It would be normal for the new clutch to require a bit more effort on the pedal than a worn-out item, but...

2. The attachment to the pedal fell off (if you removed it during the install, this is probably your fault). This is the dream solution, with nothing more than refitting the hardware or replacing a piece of hardware all thats needed to fix it. Its also possible that you dislodged the clutch adjuster mechanism or firewall mount, all of which needs to be eyeballed (more lower back pain!).

3. The attachment to the throw out arm fell off. This is actually likely to be the problem. If you can reach up and pull the cable out of the housing, this is it. Examine the cable's hardware on that end - if it looks ok, you just have to reattach everything (easy for me to say, of course, my back's still intact at this point).

let us know how this turns out, good luck

tripleblack

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page