I need some resto/buy advice here. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005 Thread Starter

Question I need some resto/buy advice here.

Ok, I need a little advice here. Let me give you gives the run down. I have a 90 GT Convertible fully loaded. Itís been sitting for about 3 years without moving an inch, although it has been covered. When I last drove it, she ran pretty good, had 110k miles, was mostly stock, didnít have a spot (and still doesnít) of rust, has some holes in the top and needed a little leatherwork. Now Iím pretty sure the old pony is going to need a lot of love to get her rolling again.

If I wanted to restore the vehicle (crate motor, tranny, disc rear end, suspension, etc) and have it done by a good mechanic (I just donít have the time anymore) what kind of costs are we looking at? Iím looking for 300-340 HP, some good performance, nothing crazy like gold plated hoses lol, etc. Just a ball park figure here (8k, 12k, 20k) because I know it all depends on what you put in.

The flip side of the question is, should I just cave in and buy a 2005 GT?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005
4.6L Member

I would definatley cave in and buy a 2005 GT

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005
4.6L Member

Different year, different make, different model....yet all too much the same.

Restoring any car cannot be done without a whole lotta time, energy, and money. The more you farm out to someone else, the more money it is gonna cost. And, no matter how much you do, there is always just that much more that you want to do; and s'long as there is money left in the budget, it will be done.

So, how much will your project car cost to "complete"? that much more than you are willing to spend.

Over the past 10 years of owning a drivable resto-vehicle, I've found that my $4,000 initial investment has totalled over $12,000; and I haven't touched the engine yet. Each year, I spend $5-800 in further enhancements, improvements, or restorations. I easily have over $1,700 in mind for near-future projects that don't include paint.

If you want to proceed with this project, I'd recommend doing it yourself. If you don't have the time, you won't appreciate the cost needed to hire someone else to do it. I guaruntee that by the time you've paid someone else to do what you ultimately want, you'll exceed the cost of a new GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page