STRUTS - 2000 GT Conv -- advice?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005 Thread Starter

Cool STRUTS - 2000 GT Conv -- advice??

I bought a cherry 2000 last year -- just a nice car to commute in -- One strut is making a loud squeak (tested out) on its way to death. I dont want to make the ride or the convertible shake worse, but I want better struts. Anyone willing to give me comments?
Rears are OK -- rather not change now
Tokico, Billstein, KYB. Monroe? I prefer to spend <$175 for the parts, but will go more with good reason. Thanks
BOB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005
4.6L Member

Bilstein makes excellent quality shocks and struts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005
4.6L Member

I second that Bilstein's are the way to go.:thumbsup

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Kyb

www.mustangtuning.com has the KYB adjustable struts for $179.90 for the pair (includes shipping). Comparable Bilsteins will cost a lot more (if you were running this car on a road course, I'd recommend those). You may find Tokicos for a bit less than the KYB's, and you should be able to run Monroe's for closer to $135.

For your daily driver, the KYB adjustables are hard to beat at that price. I'd start them out on the soft settings (you'll probably never need the harder settings unless you go autocrossing or something). If your car has over 75000 miles I'd recommend changing out the isolators on your springs at the same time. Shouldn't cost much more in labor, and may make a big difference in ride (or noise, as these can really squeal when worn out).

I have an 02 GT vert. with Steeda G-Trac suspension pieces and strut tower brace. Ride is a little harsher than stock, but great considering 1.25" drop and handling like its on rails!

Luck with your probject.

tripleblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBLA90069
I bought a cherry 2000 last year -- just a nice car to commute in -- One strut is making a loud squeak (tested out) on its way to death. I dont want to make the ride or the convertible shake worse, but I want better struts. Anyone willing to give me comments?
Rears are OK -- rather not change now
Tokico, Billstein, KYB. Monroe? I prefer to spend <$175 for the parts, but will go more with good reason. Thanks
BOB

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005 Thread Starter

THANKS -- JUST THE TYPE OF ANSWER I WANTED!!
Any input such as "Change the rears, too, for XX reason" would be cool, too. I probably need the strut tower brace, I know.
I cant live with the lowering and hard ride-- the car already scrapes the driveway -- but enjoy your car!

Bob
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Ok, Rears too

OK, I think you should change out the rear shocks at the same time. Get the KYB adjustable there, too - shock rates/tuning will match. Mixing suspension components can be ok if you're lucky, but why experiment? You can leave rear the quadrashocks alone - they are usually the last item you tamper with. Rear shocks cost a lot less than the front struts, and are an easy item to install yourself.

The strut tower brace is a moderately difficult install (takes patiance to drill all those holes), and removing the cowl vent cover (plastic body piece under the wipers) to get access is frought with peril (I broke mine - part costs $150 to replace - be careful, its a fragile *******). Makes big difference in body flex (drive over some railroad tracks before - and then after. You'll see what I mean.)

As for lowering the car, that's purely your call. If you're already scraping with the stock, highwater setup, I think I'd be pouring some concrete in the gutter where my driveway hit the street... My 1 1/4" lowering means I have to slow down over some speed bumps - but then I'm also running 18" wheels and tires, so the "lowering" nets a good bit less than 1 1/4".
Ride with progressive rate springs and adjustable struts/shocks is only a tiny bit harder than stock. If I had replaced the suspension bushings with oe rubber instead of polyurethane, I suspect the ride would be just like stock.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out - we always wonder if our advice is followed or how the car looks/performs afterward.

tripleblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBLA90069
THANKS -- JUST THE TYPE OF ANSWER I WANTED!!
Any input such as "Change the rears, too, for XX reason" would be cool, too. I probably need the strut tower brace, I know.
I cant live with the lowering and hard ride-- the car already scrapes the driveway -- but enjoy your car!

Bob

tripleblack

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005
GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
Ive used the Tokicos and KYB's. I didnt really care for the KYB's, they felt decent but wore out alot faster than the Tokicos. I used the Tokico adjustable illuminas and really liked their feel and how long they lasted. Right now im using QA1 coil overs but they are more expensive than the other two mentioned.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Tokicos are excellent shocks

Tokico shocks are fine products - don't mean to push KYB's just noticed their good price and ready availability. Also, these KYB's come with a Lifetime Warranty. For pure daily driver use, I'm certain they would last a long time and be replaceable under the warranty if there was a premature failure.

I'll check around for a good deal on Tokico's and post it here if it looks better than the KYB deal on www.mustangtuning.com.

tripleblack

tripleblack

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

$300 a pair

Found several suppliers for adjustable Tokico struts for the 2000 GT. Price ranged over $300 for the pair. Didn't find a really attractive deal. $300+ deal was at
www.performanceautowarehouse.com.

tripleblack

tripleblack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page