How do I fix this? Bumper damage (with pic to show) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005 Thread Starter

How do I fix this? Bumper damage (with pic to show)

Ok, this isnít that actual pic of my car, Iíll post that tomorrow, and it was too dark and rainy today to take one of her.

She's a 2005 Torch Red Mustang GT Convertible.

Here is what happened, I let my GF drive the car, and it appears when she parked it she scrapped the passengers side lower bumper over a bit of the cement block that most spots have. The damage is to the lower portion of the bumper where the red circle is on the pic.

Iím not sure if just that lower part of the bumper can be removed and replaced, or if I have to replace the whole bumper. The scratches are pretty heavy in a few areas so odds are they canít be sanded/polished/buffed out.

Also, can I install one of those aftermarket front spoilers to cover that scratched area, or do you have to replace the whole entire bumper to do that?

What is the best way to fix my poor cars boo boo?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch.JPG
Views:	1665
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	9815  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Paint time

The only thing worse than gf damage is wife damage (did the same thing to my 02).

These bumpers are made of tough stuff (urethane), and I'd be surprised if it couldn't be sanded out and repainted - though a professional job at a shop will run you about $100 - $500 (depending on extent of damage and whether or not they remove and repaint the whole bumper). Can't tell the extent of the damage from your jpg, but if it's limited to the lower lip below the mold line, I'd be tempted to just have the shop sand, fill and spot paint that area. Good job would be indetectable and much the cheaper alternative.

If you were planning to add an aftermarket spoiler, now is the best time, of course - and it might indeed cover the damage - be sure to examine carefully the overlap of the new part when making your choice, if this is the case. Whatever aftermarket spoiler you pick, most of them will require painting, which will cost at least as much as the repair, etc, etc.

Face the fact that the gf or wife damage to our cars is the price we pay for having females in our lives. My advice would be to be kind and gentle (unless you're ready to change gf's anyway) - which will make her love you all the more.

Next time if could be you who makes the mistake. Be big about it.

tripleblack

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005

Wink

how about using wetsand to smoothen the scratches.. and then maybe fillers.doesn't look that bad on your pic. if you're replacing your bumper you can check here: partstrain.com. adding spoiler's not bad too.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005
'95.0 stang

I can't believe you let your girlfriend drive your car. If I were you I'd try to get a front spoiler/bumper cover. There's going to be so many of those mustangs on the road it'll be nice to have a little personalization.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page