clutch problems (maybe) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005 Thread Starter
V6 Member

clutch problems (maybe)

last night i sat in my friend's 03 (same car as mine but newer) and felt his clutch. it was REALLY easy to press in compared to mine. he sat in mine and was amazed how stiff mine felt. his is a brand new clutch, but a really stiff clutch in a 00.. is that normal? my clutch also makes a clicking sound when pressed in at the bottom of the clutch, and sometimes when racing and shifting into second, second kind of makes a grind/clank sound when engaged. figured i'd mention those two things because maybe they're related. any advice would be appreciated

my friend describes it as "unusually tight and stiff, requiring way more effort to engage than mine [referring to his clutch]"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond
last night i sat in my friend's 03 (same car as mine but newer) and felt his clutch. it was REALLY easy to press in compared to mine. he sat in mine and was amazed how stiff mine felt. his is a brand new clutch, but a really stiff clutch in a 00.. is that normal? my clutch also makes a clicking sound when pressed in at the bottom of the clutch, and sometimes when racing and shifting into second, second kind of makes a grind/clank sound when engaged. figured i'd mention those two things because maybe they're related. any advice would be appreciated

my friend describes it as "unusually tight and stiff, requiring way more effort to engage than mine [referring to his clutch]"
It's going out.

how many miles are on the car? Do you live in a hilly area?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
It's going out.

how many miles are on the car? Do you live in a hilly area?
68xxx miles .. yes a hilly area

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Jeez, you drive almost as much as I do!

yeah, it's probably time for a clutch.

They used to run around 300-350, I don't know what they run now . . .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
Jeez, you drive almost as much as I do!

yeah, it's probably time for a clutch.

They used to run around 300-350, I don't know what they run now . . .
my dad and i were going to talk to a mechanic tomorrow morning about my gears, and he was gonna look at my clutch too. if my clutch is about to go out, is that normal for the amount of mileage i have, or will it be obvious i've been runnin the car?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
my dad and i were going to talk to a mechanic tomorrow morning about my gears, and he was gonna look at my clutch too. if my clutch is about to go out, is that normal for the amount of mileage i have, or will it be obvious i've been runnin the car?
In San Francisco, they go out at 35000 miles.

It all depends on how hilly the area is, & how much stop & go there is. When I lived in Manhattan KS, I'd go 120,000 miles before I needed a clutch, in Topeka KS, it went out every 40-50,000 miles.

Factor #1 is stop & go traffic.

Factor #2 is HILLY stop & go traffic.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Oh wait! You have a 2000 model!!

nvm, that's normal mileage!

I've got 88,000 on mine and it's 3 years newer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page