Coldair Install Nightmare. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005 Thread Starter

Coldair Install Nightmare.

I was installing a BBK cold air intake this past weekend, and oh-boy what a fun time that was. =P

First off my aftermarket MAF doesn't have the four bolt flange on the intake side like the stock one does. So of course I had to cut the four bolt flange off my new intake tubing. God bless my drimmil tool and jig saw. I got the two pieces attached together with a three inch rubber fitting from the plumbing department at Home Depot.

I got everything together and all seemed well until I realized that the ******* that sold me the car did not have an air filter on it. I probably drove the car around for 400 miles WITHOUT an air filter. And worse then that, I got it tuned without one. So now that there is an air filter on the car, the air flow is restricted and I think it is effecting my performance. The car bogges down alot when I try to floor it.

I don't know how much air restriction is going to affect the car like that. I also don't know if I damaged my MAF. I dropped it about 2 feet too the concrete at one point, so that might be the problem as well. (I looked and the two little wires are okay, so I'm not sure)

I would like to know if there is anywhere I can get my MAF tested and also if this new air restriction would affect the engine as much as it has.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005
2.3L Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

you can test the maf yourself, but first thing i would do since you didn't have an air filter is take the time and check your timing, tps setting and your throttlebody setting........if you need to voltage number's, i will get them for ya, just let me know.........as far as tps settings and so forth, i can get you that too, or you can do a search in the tech section.......

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Oh boy

The MAF is a delicate beast, and you may have totaled it out - or just gotten it dirty - the hot wire sensor section is sensitive to (for instance) oil contamination. If it gets covered with oil, it doesn't want to work properly. Getting dropped can damage the sensor as well.

Your tune up may adapt to the new cai and filter - only 200 miles of driving or a bunch of operating cycles will tell the tale.

Checking the tps voltage is a good idea whenever changing the fuel intake system. And making sure the air filter isn't over-oiled is a must (too much oil and it won't breath properly, and contaminate the MAF, etc).

'luck

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page