2000 Mustang Ignition Shut Off - Anti-theft? Camshaft Position Sensor? Bad Wiring? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2000 Mustang Ignition Shut Off - Anti-theft? Camshaft Position Sensor? Bad Wiring?

Thought I'd share something that's been going on for months. I found lots of troubleshooting on this board, and while some tips served as bandaids to the problem, I ended up with a tow to the auto shop this morning....

Background: Occasionally, I would go to start my car and when I turned the key, the dash would light up like normal, but turning the key further to start the car would shut everything off completely. No power to the car at all and anti-theft light would blink rapidly. If I waited long enough and put key back in, dash would light up again. Upon trying to start the engine, sometimes it would work and sometimes everything would cut out again. Tried the spare key, nothing. Found that if I disconnected and reconnected the battery, that would reset it and I could start the car. I began carrying a set of pliers in case this happened when I was away from home. Oh, and my check engine light has been on continuously since 2006!

Failed inspection: I moved to NC last year so I was required to have an inspection done to renew registration, which I had never had to do before. Car failed inspection because of the check engine light. Code says it's my Camshaft Position Sensor. Made an appt to get it replaced this morning. And again it just wouldn't start, good thing I had that appt and they had already ordered the part!

Moral of the story: A faulty camshaft position sensor may cause the car not to start, and to experience the exact issues that mine did. Based on everything I read from others, I was convinced it was an anti-theft issue or some wildly expensive fix. Hope this will help someone else who was a clueless as I was!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2000 mustang v6 automatic , anti-theft , camshaft position sensor , check engine light , ignition problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page