Exhaust without Cats - Sound? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Exhaust without Cats - Sound?

Have an 07 GT...curious as to if anyone has experienced the sound of a stock axle back exhaust replacement and then removing the cats and how much louder it is?

Also, any legal problems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007
4.6L Member

Major legal problems if u get caught also the car does need some back pressure also cars without cats tend to pop and spit if u rev it up high. Also current cats really don't restrict flow like the old ones did.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007
GT Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nyt_Muves
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwaterblvd View Post
Major legal problems if u get caught also the car does need some back pressure also cars without cats tend to pop and spit if u rev it up high. Also current cats really don't restrict flow like the old ones did.
Major Legal Problems is right. In AZ it is a $10,000 fine. Now the good news, you aren't likely to get caught. Not too many cops are going to lay on hot asphalt to see if you have cats or not. When you emissions now, they rarely look, just plug in to see if you have any error codes in your PCM as long as you are a 97 or newer...

I put a basani X w/o cats on my last 98. It snarled and popped. It was NOTICEABLY louder. Turned heads. I did mufflers at the same time. I liked it, but it is all relative. Personal choice.

BULLITT #04385
Gone but never forgotten, Died Valiantly
New Project: Putting 92 5.0L drivetrain into 83 RX7
Built by MAZDA shaken by FORD

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
If you remove the cats on your 07 GT, you will most likely set some codes, more than likely catylyst efficiency codes, and probably both lean and rich codes. In AZ, they usually just hook up a scanner to OBD II cars, check emissions monitors and the check engine light status.

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007
GT Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nyt_Muves
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalkerStang View Post
If you remove the cats on your 07 GT, you will most likely set some codes, more than likely catylyst efficiency codes, and probably both lean and rich codes. In AZ, they usually just hook up a scanner to OBD II cars, check emissions monitors and the check engine light status.
But he can get eliminators. That would solve the codes....

BULLITT #04385
Gone but never forgotten, Died Valiantly
New Project: Putting 92 5.0L drivetrain into 83 RX7
Built by MAZDA shaken by FORD
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthowe View Post
Have an 07 GT...curious as to if anyone has experienced the sound of a stock axle back exhaust replacement and then removing the cats and how much louder it is?

Also, any legal problems?
I wouldn't suggest doing that until it is out of warranty. If something goes wrong, you could end up trying to battle Ford for warranty work. They could throw a number of things at you and void your warranty, then you're in a legal battle. If you must do it, be careful and speak to an inspector about what they are supposed to check.

2008 Mustang GT Premium 5 speed, MGW short throw shifter, 3.55 gears, black-on-black, IUP, 18in polished aluminum wheels, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, JLT II CAI w/SCT X-Cal 2. 296HP & 311TQ

1997 Mustang 3.8L AODE, CAI, Dual Exhaust, UDPs, 17" GT wheels

"Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007
S197 Member

I got the Pypes O/R H pipe from Brenspeed. Its relatively cheap and easy to install. I also got their MIL eliminators and I've yet to see a code. I would say buy it and if your worried about your warranyty you can put the stock pipe back on when you go in for service. It really only takes about an hour to change. I think you will love the sound after the cats are gone.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
As long as you have the MIL's you should be ok, jsut remember, if something goes wrong aka check engine light, make sure you hook your stock set-up back on.

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page