How to install rear end gears, and more! read on. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

How to install rear end gears, and more! read on.

Time and time again people ask if it is difficult to install a set of gears in their Mustangs. Especially the 8.8 variety. Well if you pick up the lastest issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords, there on page 92 is a very good illustration on how it is done. Titled Booty Overhaul, they install a new rear gear along with a Torsen T-2 differential. Carefully examine all of the photo's and pay attention to the tools required and method of how it is done properly. It's all reletive to experience and equipment, I'll let you readers be the judge of that.

Another interesting story is that they dyno a bone stock 93 Mustang and install a supercharger with everything else that should go with it and post the results. Then they take it off and do a step by step build up of a N/A set up. They start with the basics and record every install with a dyno reading. Some of the facts had me thinking of how to attack my own engine. Some im glad that they have done the leg work for me.

As with any project, I always try and get as much information as I can before I get knee deep into it and get all fustrated. It is nice to know what the HP and torque gains are for specific add ons. Then there's the hidden horsepower in the tune up of you ECU.

As one racer's quote states " the trick is in the tweak"

I like that one!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to 95justang
I read all those articles too, but since the biggest thing I've ever done to a car is change the rotors, I'll let someone else install my gears. Good articles though.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003

Gears are left to the pros. As for the 5.0 article on piece by piece installation and horsepower gain per piece, I thought it was a load of crap the order they installed items. Putting on the larger MAF last, what's up with that? Did C&L pay them to do that? You would've seen larger gains from the heads or intake if they'd put the TB and MAF on before the intake and heads. I've lost some respect for that MAG! The first install was the rockers? 99% of people will replace the throttle body/MAF, then exhaust. This frees up the power that the stock motor has. Also underdrives. Then they go internal with heads, rockers and fuel. I was disappointed.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003

Gears are no big deal. If you can change your clutch you should be able to install your own gears and save lots of $$$. Research the process before you dig in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page