Options? Need it or not? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Options? Need it or not?

Alright, after a lifetime of driving 4 bangers, I want my first Mustang GT as a daily driver and for the occasional road trip but so many options! I'm not a track person but I do like the backroads. My criteria so far is a base Mustang GT with 301A and active valve exhaust. I prefer cloth seats and I'm old school when it comes to gauges.

But, safe and smart package? Need it? I test drove one with it and the blindside assist seemed pretty cool but driving without the assist seemed to make me pay more attention to traffic. Are the nannies worth it or something that will cause me to pay less attention to the road?

Magneride? Does it affect the daily performance that much? or does it just make the ride comfortable? I prefer feeling the road. Just don't know if it affects performance when it comes to daily driving and the occasional road trip and perhaps a couple of jaunts on the backroads.

I could go for the PP1 too but just don't know if it'll be worth it in the long road because once I get a Mustang, I plan on keeping it for the long haul.

Basically will those options increase the smiles per miles?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I see this is your first post so welcome to the Forums.

Let's take a quick look at the 2020 build on Ford web site because I have a modified 2012 which does not have independent suspension and does not have many of the features now standard on the S550 Mustangs.

The 301A package that you want is not that expensive coming in at $2000 on top of the $35,600 base price for the base GT coup.

The MagneRide comes with the level 2 performance package with a rather pricey $6500 added on of the $2000 already mentioned.

If you want active exhaust you will need to step up to the next class which is the GT Premium with a base cost at $39,600.

In my opinion, going from the 4 cylinder (Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Ford??? what ever you now drive) to the base GT is going to be night and day and you have a good canvas to do upgrades. Stretching out to the GT Premium would be very nice and give you a lot of nice standard features for the buck however, you still need the expensive $6500 option on top of the base price of the GT Premium to get the MagnaRide suspension. So you need to determine how bad you want the suspension.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Actually, according the build page, active valve exhaust is an option for the GT too and not just the premium model. It's available as it's own option.

I basically wants the basic GT fastback with 301A and active valve exhaust. I'm undecided about the safe and smart package. Is it

But there's still new 2019s at the dealership that have what I want but also comes with the performances package and magneride. I don't need all of that but would it be worth it?

In other words, if a 2020 GT with only the 301A and active valve exhaust is about the same price as a 2019 GT that has 301A, active valve exhaust, magneride, and performance pack 1, then get the 2019 or the 2020? Remember it'll be my only car and I'm not taking it to the track.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If it was your money buying me a car I would want all bells and whistles.

If it is my money buying my car then I would stick with what my needs are and buy new and buy the newest. 2020.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Why buy a 2020 GT when it's practically unchanged from the 2019? Sure, I'd get a 2020 if I was getting an Ecoboost. I'm undecided whether to get a 2020 that meets my needs or for the same price, get a 2019 that meets and exceeds my needs.

Plus, do I need Magneride? No, but should I get it if I could? Idk. I heard it's a night and day difference, but I prefer a tight ride than a soft one. I like to keep things simple and the Magneride is a pretty complex system so more things can go wrong or maybe it's my age that's talking.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Unfortunately Ford dealers don't deeply discount the Mustang. The 2019 model year is pretty well over and 2020s are on the lots at essentially the same MSRP plus the same standard discounts and rebates offered every year.

There isn't much price difference between 2019 GT and 2020 GT so why spend good money on a 2019 and place yourself in an older model year when the price differential is so small you can move into an equally equipped newer 2020.

I don't expect Ford to offer clearance pricing until into 2020 to move the left over 2019 pickings off their lots. But I guess with the right dealer you can negotiate a g ood discount.

I think you just need to test drive a variety of optioned GTs and see if the upgrades are worth the price.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I test drove a few. Don't think I want Magneride and the Safe and Smart package because that's more stuff plugged into the computer and I plan on keeping the car for a long time. Less sensors, the less likelihood of a sensor going bad. Plus you can upgrade passive suspension but not active suspension.

Question is to get a 2019 which I can get now or a 2020 later. I don't see a difference between them; Ford didn't make any changes that I know of, to the engine or anything else. It's the same technology except they're assembled a year apart. I do need a new car sooner than later. But did they make any changes to the engine or major drive components?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in