• 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By KathyPepper
  • 2 Post By ONEZ ST
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Ecoboost vs 5.0 V8 reliability

I am new here. I am looking into purchasing my first mustang. Ive always wanted one. So I’m looking for some opinions on the ecoboost ( have not heard a lot of good on turbocharged engines) as far as reliability and any issues that have come up.

The V8 has the plastic intake manifold cover which is a concern.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kathy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Hi Kathy, I for one (with the exception of Diesel engines), do not like a turbo/supercharged engine for daily driving..... regardless of what the oem manuals say, turbos beat the crap out of the oil....so IMHO, forget the 5-7K oil change intervals...along with most of the other extended service schedules as well. Although the design & engineering is excellent, the complexity of the engine and it electronic engine management systems is "Huge"...… meaning when things work right they are great, when they don't failure typically occurs and it is typically very, very expensive....ie. catastrophic level damage.

Gas mileage, well, in "theory" it should be wonderful but in reality, when you compare driver to driver to vehicle to vehicle in the same driving conditions, a normally aspirated engine will most always get better gas mileage than a boosted one....the only exception would be highway conditions where you have the cruise control engaged......but the increased mpg would be 1-2 mpg in most cases.

With regards to the intake manifold being plastic, yes, very true, and back in 1997 that is when they had a lot of failures caused in part by them merging aluminum and plastic together....that didn't work out all that well. Every engine mfg today has plastic intakes (including many high end supercars)...so you really can't get away from them..... but there really isn't a need to run from them either as they are very dependable, few have issues but they are considered a "disposable/repairable component"... but they are designed to be repaired easily....the o-ring gaskets that seal them up are usually the issue...and the o-ring assembly is a replaced part..... and not that bad of a job.

huberoy123 likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi Beachkid. Thank you for your reply. I am looking at getting a GT no older than 2015. Its funny now that Im looking for one there is not a day goes by that I don’t see at least one on the road. Its temping to get one that is not exactly what I want, but I will holdout for what I want.

Kathy
Beechkid likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I think a good read of the S550 forums will produce enough info on the pros and cons of the Eco and 5.0.

Neither the Eco or 5.0 or S550 platform is problem-free, so for peace of mind you can purchase a pre-owned that still has factory warranty remaining. Or look into an extended warranty through a Ford dealer on-line. Lombard and Ziegler are just a couple of ford dealer that sell them in volume. Options options . . .
huberoy123 and Beechkid like this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyPepper View Post
Hi Beachkid. Thank you for your reply. I am looking at getting a GT no older than 2015. Its funny now that Im looking for one there is not a day goes by that I don’t see at least one on the road. Its temping to get one that is not exactly what I want, but I will holdout for what I want.

Kathy
a couple things to be aware of Kathy when looking at used cars...… when the coyote engines 1st came out in production (the 1st few years) there were significant design/engineering/production related problems....so significant that IIRR, there was an engine replacement recall..... including piston slap (which they told customers they just have to live with)...not a good thing.... until 2016 (IIRR) when the new gen of coyote engine was produced and shares very little with the original design. There have also been transmission issues...… it's year specific but the late model sticks (for a short duration) had aluminum shift forks and were breaking like candy.... the autos, very good/the same stout trans used for years (basically). Also AC dryers/accumulators….. issues with the later models (along with camero, challenger, etc.)… they are located behind the dash....and are known for failures....definitely supplier defect (leaks Freon)..... although the part is relatively inexpensive ($100 or so)….the dash has to be almost pulled to access.....typically $2500- $3,500..... and even with most every newer car, these are located in the same location...and if the AC compressor fails (just part of life), it is a component that is required to be replaced if you want to maintain the new part warranty..... kinda a catch 22 situation.

Here's me as a "Dutch Uncle" talking now....

no matter what used car you are looking at, take it to a mechanic for an inspection...including looking at the Mode 6 file (ecm) which will not only ID what the past uses/reprogramming has been but will also ID how many times a particular trouble code has been activated and secondly...a frame shop..... combined, this will cost a few hundred dollars but an honest seller will have no objections and it will be cheap insurance to know that you are getting a truly good, solid car.

ok, I'm done now!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

yeah I would go for the V8 for sure, less potential reliability problems due to the turbo, and a V8 is required for a "real Mustang" (LOL, personal preference . . . )

the ecoboost in my friend's fusion ate its turbo just after the warranty expired, I know that doesn't always happen, but the engine can't eat its turbo if it doesn't have one
Beechkid likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

I have been driving turbo 4s continuously since 1985 as my daily drivers. I have accumulated about 3/4 of a million miles and have never had a turbo or internal engine failure. Also, all of them were tuned and were making significantly more power than stock.

The high mileage champ had 240,000 miles and was running great when my son totaled it. The next high mileage one was 196,000, i sold it because i needed to reduce the number of vehicles i had. All others but the two Ecoboost Mustangs had well over 100,000 miles. Haven't had them long enough to rack up over 100k.

The reason i have driven turbo 4s for so long is i find them to be the perfect combination of power and economy. Keep your foot out of it and you get the same mileage as an equivalent naturely aspirated 4 cyl. When using the power you will get the same or better mileage compared to a naturely aspirated engine of the same power.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page