LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Depreciation...

Anybody else notice the new Mustangs while their starting price is higer and higher each year all seem to depreciate a little faster and are seeming to end up all in the same place? 2011-2012 seems to have leveled out around 18-22K depending on miles and the 2015-2016's are getting close to that price now. Kinda makes buying a Mustang hard. haha I want new so I can know the car is taken care of, but can't justify losing half my up front cost in 3 or so years. haha I found 2 options I want to act on, but can't seem to pull the trigger.

I know none of us have a crystal ball, but I wonder how this next recession that is inevitable near (based on history and not politics) will fair as far as values? Hmmmmm

(If this topic needs to be moved to the hot zone due to the last part can a mod do that? I figure it isn't really a "hot" topic, but I could be wrong...)

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019
PONY Member

Well it is well known that buying a new car is about the worst fiscal decision you can make because of depreciation.

I don't concern myself with depreciation because i keep my cars 7 to 10 years and put 200,000+ miles on them so there is not much value left so i wind up giving them to a family member in need or trade them in for whatever they offer just so i don't have to deal with it anymore.

If depreciation is a real concern i would recommend not buying new. A 2 or 3 year old car will have had its largest percentage of depreciation and from that point on it will depreciate at a much slower rate.

Dave

huberoy123 likes this.

Last edited by kenv; 09-30-2019 at 08:57 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I agree, if your concern is depreciation then you shouldn't be looking at any new vehicles. I too have been hit by the same common sense way of thinking in the past few years, which has stopped me from buying anything. I have an twelve year old family vehicle (2007 Expedition) that we bought new that now has 60,000 miles and my daily driver 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 that I also bought new that now has just over 130,000 miles.
My wife is always telling me I need to go get something new and she is awesome about it, as far as she's concerned I just need to keep it under $75,000 but I can't get my self to do it for the big seven mile round trip run to work every day. I have said all along I will get something new when my Mustang stops running but I don't see that happening anytime soon with the way I maintain it and the low milage I put on it. I just keep dumping the money in the 401k and Roth IRA's!

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019
BOSS Member

I agree with above....we typically have always kept our vehicle for 15-20+ years....and yes, we probably spend a little more on maintenance than most do...but, you can get into any of them, turn the key, they will start and drive 1000+ miles with no concerns. The new ones especially in the past few years all have such significant QA/design/production issues...no, I'm just not spending $ for something of that QA. I had to laugh the other day...as I pulled into a parking spot at the club we belong to, there was a Porsche SUV parked just ahead of me....initial view...yes, it looked nice....then as I walk around the Porsche I see a sign on it that says..." Porches QA - Rust through and paint peeling in 3 years! - and not covered by warranty"

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My `13 GT is not depreciating at all,since I have no plans to sell it. It just turned 2,049 miles

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The newer mustang's really take a hit on depression and I think its because they are overpriced and dealers no longer give discounts and incentives like they used to. Drive it off the lot and then the cars true monetary value hits home.

Look at what Ford has in the way of cars in their lineup today. A Fiesta, a Fusion and the Mustang. And who knows if the fiesta will even be sold in 2020 because only the Fusion and Mustang are listed under 2020 models so far on Fords car site. Ford knows anyone wanting to buy a Ford performance car has one choice and that choice is a Mustang. Its Fords iPhone.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
My `13 GT is not depreciating at all,since I have no plans to sell it. It just turned 2,049 miles
That's exactly the type of barn-find a member mentions in their intro that they picked up dirt cheap.

Edit: Typo.
kenv likes this.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

Last edited by ONEZ ST; 10-01-2019 at 02:11 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
I agree, if your concern is depreciation then you shouldn't be looking at any new vehicles. I too have been hit by the same common sense way of thinking in the past few years, which has stopped me from buying anything. I have an twelve year old family vehicle (2007 Expedition) that we bought new that now has 60,000 miles and my daily driver 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 that I also bought new that now has just over 130,000 miles.
My wife is always telling me I need to go get something new and she is awesome about it, as far as she's concerned I just need to keep it under $75,000 but I can't get my self to do it for the big seven mile round trip run to work every day. I have said all along I will get something new when my Mustang stops running but I don't see that happening anytime soon with the way I maintain it and the low milage I put on it. I just keep dumping the money in the 401k and Roth IRA's!
Yep I too have saved a good bit of money now not owning a Mustang right now, but I keep saying what fun is having money in the bank if you aren't going to enjoy it. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
The newer mustang's really take a hit on depression and I think its because they are overpriced and dealers no longer give discounts and incentives like they used to. Drive it off the lot and then the cars true monetary value hits home.

Look at what Ford has in the way of cars in their lineup today. A Fiesta, a Fusion and the Mustang. And who knows if the fiesta will even be sold in 2020 because only the Fusion and Mustang are listed under 2020 models so far on Fords car site. Ford knows anyone wanting to buy a Ford performance car has one choice and that choice is a Mustang. Its Fords iPhone.
I too agree that the MSRP's on these Mustangs is way out of hand and that is why I don't have a Mustang right now... Back in 2013-2014 60K got you a GT500 with over 600HP. Today 60K gets you a GT350, but the performance doesn't match and thats why 2013-2014 GT500's are same price as 2015-2017 GT350's... Same starting price, but have held value much better... Hell a MSRP of 55K for a optioned out GT is just insane and right at the MSRP for a Porsche Cayman which even the base Cayman is almost optioned like a optioned out GT... Just crazy!! Now I don't know how much off MSRP Porsche dealers will come off, but I do know on a GT most come off about 5,000-8000 off this time of year to make room for next model so that helps, but still close to 50K for a GT is crazy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
That's exactly the type of barn-find a member mentions in their intro that they picked up dirt cheap.

Edit: Typo.
If I could find a 2013-2014 manual GT premium with or without track pac, super low miles, and 1 owner for low to mid 20's I would buy it right this second no questions asked... Seen a couple pop up in past couple weeks, but they sell before I get the chance to get it... Honestly seems like there are less and less good used Mustangs out there these days...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page