NEW or couple of years old. Which one to buy? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question NEW or couple of years old. Which one to buy?

I'm planning to buy Mustang Ecoboost and confused about which one to buy. which one is better to buy new 2019 or new 2020 mustang or buying couple of years used mustang to save couple of thousand dollars. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well, if you buy new, you get the full warranty & you know exactly how the car has been treated. If you buy used, you save some money, but there is no lemon law on used cars in most states (don`t be confused by the term Certified pre owned. That`s just a used car with a little better warranty length from the factory, not the dealer). It all depends on what`s important to you.

As far as the difference between the 2019 & 2020 models, I don`t know.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the site! According to this article https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...9-mustang.html the rebates are pretty sweet on 2019 models if you can find what you want. Best of luck!

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
First welcome to AFM!

New or used is really personal preference and budget. If you can afford new it is usual the best plan as stated you know how the car has been treated from practically day 1. Buying used sure does have the potential to save money. I say potential because purchase savings could be diminished by issues.

As mentioned from now through when all the new 2019's are gone is a great time to buy new as you can often get new for almost the same as a lightly used model...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

There is no easy answer to that question - "it depends" on the deals that you can get at the time you are ready to buy, and whether you are willing to take a little risk to save some money.

"Conventional wisdom" says it is always better to buy a good late model used car because the big depreciation hit has already been taken. I have read this a thousand times if I've read it once . . . and every time I need to buy a "new" (to me) car, I always look for a good used one first.

But -- I end up buying new at least half the time. Especially toward the end of the model year, sometimes the deals you can get on new put the price so close to used that (for me) it's worth the small premium to buy new. And sometimes you can get extended zero percent financing on top of a good price, if you buy new.

Sorry we can't make it easier for you; but you really need to look at the deals that are available, compare them, and decide. And if you are not happy with what you find today, then wait . . . something better always comes along eventually.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Ohh one other thing to consider and not forget. Don't just look at your local dealers do a search for whatever distance you are comfortable traveling. I generally do 250 mile search for used and 500 mile search for new. I do a larger search on new as there is less likely there are issues with the car. Used you may not buy the car as the dealer or person lied about something. Not much to lie about on a new car other than the OTD price, but always get a buyers order or paperwork before heading to the dealer on new or used and that saves this. 500 miles is about the max in my mind as that is a long travel. haha Now for a GT350 or something like that I did open my search up further, but didn't end up doing it, but for example I found a NEW GT350 10K under MSRP... I mean that is a lot of savings I am willing to travel a good distance to save! haha Deals like that are out there! Had I not found my GT500 I was going to buy that car once the weekend arrived, but 1 day before putting down the deposit and making travel arrangements.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

Last edited by MustangLife; 10-29-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for the suggestions guys and is there any particular sites or any ways to find a good couple of years used cars (like websites,.....). I know its sounds little funny but this is my first car so want some suggestions from you guys and how to get 0 APR...!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta2752 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions guys and is there any particular sites or any ways to find a good couple of years used cars (like websites,.....). I know its sounds little funny but this is my first car so want some suggestions from you guys and how to get 0 APR...!!!
Ok well as far as 0% interest the only way to do that is go through a Ford dealer and buy new. Also note if you don't have to finance usual they offer a better price. If you do have to finance sometimes they offer a better price to finance at 1.99 to 2.99. So depending on how much and for how long calculate the savings of 0% interest and make sure it out weighs the savings of the other offers...

Many sites, but the most popular are in no particular order:
Autotrader
Cars
cargurus

Keep us posted and let us know what question we can help to get you the right car.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Another good site is edmunds.com ; last time I was on there they had a handy tool for valuing your "trade in" which can also be used to get a rough value for used cars that you might want to buy.

Yeah the 0% is usually only offered by manufacturers as an incentive to buy their new cars, I have never heard of it on used cars. But usually the price is higher if you do the 0% deal, so you really need to look at the total/net cost to you when you compare alternatives.

And sometimes a dealer will actually give you a better price if you finance through them instead of paying "cash" (or financing elsewhere) because they make money on the financing. But it's a good idea to have a local Credit Union or some place where you can get financing at a good rate that is not through the dealer, so you can tell if the deal they are offering you is really a good deal or not.

It can be very handy to know how to use Excel and the "PMT" function so you can calculate payments yourself, and also do the math to add up how much it is going to cost with interest.

It all comes down to comparing alternatives, and being as objective as possible so you don't get sucked in to one of the "great deals" they are likely to offer you, which might actually be great deals for them and not for you.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page