basic road racing s197 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I guess I better check out Phoenix before I order the strut kit from Vorschlag; and will also prioritize the safety equipment. I haven't had anyone in the back seat of my Mustang since my daughter was little so the basic roll and harness bar (not a full cage) will not be a big issue.

By "reaction time" I was thinking of when unexpected things happen, like the rear suddenly breaks loose. I am not confident that I can save it, if I get into big trouble at high speed. Check out Palmer Motorsports Park (Palmer, Massachusetts) sometime and I think you'll see why I get a little intimidated sometimes (long sweeping 100MPH left with boulder wall on the right, for example).

I am actually pretty smooth and getting pretty good at consistently hitting my marks lap after lap. As long as everything goes as planned, I'm good. But at "Track Night in America" you never know what might happen; there are a lot of inexperienced drivers on the track.

I haven't done any Autocross yet, that sounds like a good idea. Also understand the point about gaining a lot of experience in a shorter time; I took a whole year off in 2018 (life happens) and then in 2019 it was like I was starting over.

Thanks for the tips -- I know that was not the original point of this thread, but it's great to see an active thread in the Road Racing section again!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
will also prioritize the safety equipment.
By "reaction time" I was thinking of when unexpected things happen, like the rear suddenly breaks loose. I am not confident that I can save it, if I get into big trouble at high speed.
The 100+ mph sweeping curves are exhilarating, adrenaline rushes. The Unexpected.....Building confidence, trusting, believing in the car, was the hardest thing for me. I've had a few mishaps over the years, all damage free till 2018 and even then, I did all the things I had been taught and learned. Instinct kicked in, which probably kept the accident from being worst than it was. After a few "oop's" you learn what the car will probably do and what the driver needs to do. Those "lessons learned" get stored away for use later, as needed. Took a few months after the accident to build my confidence back up, especially in the curve where it all happened. Never knew really what happened, best we can surmise is I hit some fluid, the back end kicked out and sent me to the guard rail. I had hit that curve/apex hundreds of times at the same speed, so this is the best / most logical answer. If you don't trust the car or the driver, you'll never reach your potential or your limit. At least that's what I've learned over the years.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
The 100+ mph sweeping curves are exhilarating, adrenaline rushes. . . . .
yep, screeching tires at 100+ MPH with a rock wall that seems like it is almost touching your passenger door, will do that for sure! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep-1 View Post
.... FWIW, Vorschlage and Phoenix are pretty much at complete odds on car setup. .... if you are serious about T3 (SCCA) IMO you'd prolly be better off with the Phoenix stuff, which is Ford Performance with coilovers.

not sure I am really "serious" but I thought Phoenix would be worth a look, before I buy Vorschlag's strut/mount/spring kit . . . I think I found them on the web at link below; but I don't see where they list the set-ups that they sell . . . is this the right place; should I give them a call?

http://www.phoenixperformance.net/ph...s_for_sale.php

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

Last edited by JBert; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:42 AM.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

You will have to talk to Joe Aquilante, or AJ direct, they do sell setups, and I know that Penske (crazy expensive BTW) sell shocks with Phoenix proprietary valving so they are very good at what they do, that being said, for track day stuff they'd prolly recoemnd the Ford Racing stuff since it's not wheel to wheel cutting edge, but check with them.

Phoenix Home
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

reaction time..

IT's funny, I used to have a Pro Superkart / Unlimited kart licensee which meant I could climb into anything made, the first thing I learned in any type of racing is that you look way up ahead, not at the car in front of you, if anything that happens between the way ahead point of view and your front bumper, you will immediately be attracted to it, so looking through the guy's windshield in front of you is more of what you need to do, at 130mph, things happen fast.
I'm going to post AJ driving a fairly high performance mustang at Daytona, this is close to a PWC GTS class car..just watch how smooth he is..smooth is always fast.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FC&FORM=VDQVAP
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep-1 View Post
the first thing I learned in any type of racing is that you look way up ahead, not at the car in front of you, if anything that happens between the way ahead point of view and your front bumper, you will immediately be attracted to it, so looking through the guy's windshield in front of you is more of what you need to do, at 130mph, things happen fast.
So true and for me, took a long time to learn and apply. Learned a lot from Driver61 classes and instruction as well as PAE coaching, that helped me break street driving habits and apply road racing habits.
blacksheep-1 likes this.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE

Last edited by pikapp; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:53 PM.
Rookie

Thanks for the info. With the Covid19 stuff going on, I finally got around to installing my Steeda Stage 3 suspension kit on my 2007 GT: Springs, shocks, sway bars, rear control arms, strut tower brace, and bump steer kit. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustan...-555-2372.html Without new caster/camber plates, what the max camber adjustment I can make? This is my project/Track car but I do drive it around town now and then. What do you think is a good amount camber -2 degrees? That is what I found online. My experience is still novice, Ive done a few HPDE events in the South Florida Area.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

There is no camber adjustment in the standard/stock mounts; and I think you will get about -1 degree after lowering

For the track, the more camber the better; for the street around -1 to -2 is probably OK for not causing too crazy tire wear . . . if you do track the car the front tire wear should even out because the track really eats up the outside edges

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzon View Post
Thanks for the info. With the Covid19 stuff going on, I finally got around to installing my Steeda Stage 3 suspension kit on my 2007 GT: Springs, shocks, sway bars, rear control arms, strut tower brace, and bump steer kit. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustan...-555-2372.html Without new caster/camber plates, what the max camber adjustment I can make? This is my project/Track car but I do drive it around town now and then. What do you think is a good amount camber -2 degrees? That is what I found online. My experience is still novice, Ive done a few HPDE events in the South Florida Area.
There is an official Ford procedure that you can follow, where you basically grind one of the sets of strut 'ear' holes oval in the direction that gives you a more negative camber setting. There's probably a degree or so available this way, but keep in mind that this comes at slight reductions in tire & wheel to strut clearances.

-2 is fairly easily do-able for street driving, though that much might work best for those whose normal, everyday cornering tends to be more aggressive than most. You'll want only very small amounts of toe.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page