Susp. Guys: Talk to me about sway bars - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004 Thread Starter

Susp. Guys: Talk to me about sway bars

I was looking into a rear sway bar from MM to compliment my three link systems I already have. Even though I studied a bunch of suspension crap I haven't really read up on something as simple as the sway bar. Which one would be good for me? How do they help and why? Here is a link to the ones that I was looking into. As you can see there are different types for different aplications. I would call MM but I don't think they want to be on the phone with me for over in hour.

http://maximummotorsports.com/rsb.asp

Also:

For anybody that has one, how does it ride? big difference? Rougher ride? The torque arm gave me a little more body roll (that's why I'm thinking of getting one) but that's nothing compared to the cornering ablility I gained!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004

Call Maximum , They will be glad to let you know what you need. A swaybar recomendation has to be made knowing all of your other suspension mods and wieght and how you want to use the car . Street/street and race /or race only. They are very helpful, it will only take 15 minutes to have it on its way to you. I put one of their adjustables in last month and love it. Hope this helps. Paul

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004 Thread Starter

In what area did you notice the biggest approvement on when you installed it? At work I have plenty of internet time but no phone time. By the time I get home MM would be closed.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I have a torque arm too. You'll need to go to a 1" (or bigger)rear sway bar

Quick rule(s) I go by is

street-gt/lx 5.0L front and rear
Hot street/auto X-1" front gt/lx 5.0L rear
auto X-1.25" front 1" rear
road race-same as auto X

This is just a general place to start. Each suspention is different.

Black,79 Mustang mostly carbon fiber/kevlar body, M-2300-k brake kit, full roll cage, maximum motorsport suspension, custom geared 6 speed, 2 inch rear fender flares, 1 inch front, motor being built (no eta). Looks like the Mad Max interseptor and weighs about 1800lbs w/o motor (450hp 351w installed to move the car around)
Black, 82 Capri RS 5.0L, B303, 1.7 rockers, World 180 heads, +150hp N.O.S, Turbo coupe rear end, T-56(tremec tko would be beter), 80 cobra nose
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004 Thread Starter

Well I read that the stock front sway bar size is 1.30". So all I would have to do is bump the rear up to 1"? I don't want to cause an oversteer problem so I'm being very cautious. I do plan on going with the MM coilover kit in the front but that's way in the future. Should I wait to do the front coilovers before I start messing with the sway bar?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Buy it now so that that it's one less thing to buy later. If you don't like it you can always go bat to the stock one

Black,79 Mustang mostly carbon fiber/kevlar body, M-2300-k brake kit, full roll cage, maximum motorsport suspension, custom geared 6 speed, 2 inch rear fender flares, 1 inch front, motor being built (no eta). Looks like the Mad Max interseptor and weighs about 1800lbs w/o motor (450hp 351w installed to move the car around)
Black, 82 Capri RS 5.0L, B303, 1.7 rockers, World 180 heads, +150hp N.O.S, Turbo coupe rear end, T-56(tremec tko would be beter), 80 cobra nose
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

An adjustable swaybar is what you need, sometimes you will need it to be loose, sometimes stiff depending on the track. The rear swaybar is a tunning aid. I would most probably go with the 3/4 solid swaybar from MM.
A few buddies of mine have the Steeda unit, but when they installed it they went too stiff and had too much oversteer at the local track (very twistie). I kept them behind without a swaybar in my GT.

I think adjustability is the key, good adjustable shocks and struts and adjsutable swaybar.

One of the best tunning aids is a camera, have a buddy take some shots of you on the corners, sometimes you feel more body roll than there really is.

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004

[QUOTE=GTRaptor]An adjustable swaybar is what you need, sometimes you will need it to be loose, sometimes stiff depending on the track. The rear swaybar is a tunning aid. I would most probably go with the 3/4 solid swaybar from MM.

I think adjustability is the key, good adjustable shocks and struts and adjsutable swaybar.

QUOTE]

My thoughts ( and set up) exactly
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004

some useful reading for everybody

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm

here is a good document for everyone to understand suspenison basics and the characteristics of suspension dynamics specific to mustangs

Adjustability is the key... a 1" or bigger adjustable sway bar would be an excellent choice.

John Morris
ALTEREDSPEED
783 E. Roth Rd.
French Camp, CA 95231
(209) 234-7890
[email protected]
www.alteredspeed.com

Agree with advice above.

Also, I understand that Chuck and the rest of the team at MM are great, and they do get around to answering questions by email as well as on the phone. Here is the address: [email protected]

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page