• 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By SirWatson
  • 1 Post By Beechkid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

OK, wax on sealant or sealant on wax???

After a long trek through the internet, I'm more confused about this than ever:

Does wax go on top of sealant or under it?

Some of the internet thinks that sealant is meant to protect the wax so it goes over and holds everything in. The other part of the internet thinks that sealant should bond to the paint and wax goes on top (because apparently wax underneath causes bonding issues for the sealant and it doesn't last long).

Does anyone have experience with this? I'd love some opions

In case you were wondering, I'm thinking of doing a clay bar, a polish, and using both Chemical Guys Extreme Top Coat Sealant as well as Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018
PONY Member

You seal paint, not wax. If the car has orange peel (all stock paint does) the first step is a light color sand. If the color sanding and polish is done, then seal and wax as needed once a month and wash at least twice a week. For light dust, daily spray with water to flow away the dust and lightly towel to remove water before it spots.
Don't forget to polish the glass and use 00 steel wool to remove any waterspots it might have. I used to park near the golf course and would occasionally get a spray from the sprinklers that have fertilizer in the water and it spots badly and quickly.
I don't like any of the liquid waxes as they don't last like carnauba and I use a buffer to apply and remove the wax I use.
I like PS21S.

SirWatson likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018
BOSS Member

Ok, you're talking 2 different things here...……….

Each will typically work well...……… let me provide a little further explanation.....

In summary, it's really nothing more than terminology here, sealants in general, use chemical agents or hardeners that when added to "wax" type products", makes them "harder" and typically more resistant to environmental impact....such as heat, IR/UV light, etc., making them more durable and to a certain degree, protects the paint a bit better, but that should not be interpreted that a good quality conventional wax would not provide excellent results as well.

Megs, etc. are not badproducts, they have a great marketing program, but IMHO, they just don't hold up or work as well as commercial/professionalgrade products (that actual cost the same or less typically). You have to remember,the "Laws of chemistry" have not changed in the past 50 years and they likely won't change in the next 50 years either...…...everyone uses the same substances to formulate their products, what isdifferent is the purity/concentration & price.....typical retail names aremuch more expensive per ounce than commercial lines.

May I recommend...……….

If you have specific swirl markissues I use BAF/Pro Car Care Beauty Products P21 Swirl Eliminator &Polish- although for 30 years I used 3M products specifically, I have not beenas pleased with the quality of 3M’s hand glaze for the past few years. I typically do not like"combination" type products but P21 is very, very impressive &effective from end result, ease of use & overall effectiveness.

As far as sealants go, the absolute best ($ for $) IMHOis "Satin Cream" (for dark colors), it is made by BAF &distributed through Pro Car Care products. It is very easy to work with eitherby hand, orbital or buffer. It has the same acrylic hardener as the high dollarpaint sealants but it has 30% German imported carnauba....no, your arm will notfall off putting it on or taking it off & it has a very mild polish in itas well. Even parking the vehicle outside, the MFG gives a 6 months warrantybefore another application is required. I use this personally on my toys &daily drivers (which include a 1997 black Cougar sport) and all I can tell youare not even bugs like to stick to the paint- most of the time when water isapplied they just float off- bird poop is just as easy. No smeary look either-very clean clear deep look. On my toys, I give them a fresh coat about every 2years (literally, even for a show), my daily drivers (I have one that sitsoutside), I apply to the entire vehicle every 6 months, and do the hood, roofand trunk every 3 months (probably overkill, but I know it is well protectedfrom the elements including industrial fallout).

For light colored cars I use Profection PaintSealant (P-73-Q)…it is the same product as “Satin Crème” but without thecarnauba….it brings up a much higher shine which on light colored cars looksbetter IMHO (although it has less depth of shine that carnauba gives) and ithas a much higher level of polish in it.….I also use this on all my chrome,stainless, etc…it not only shines it up like new but it is sealed from theelements as well……it works very nice on the poly carbonate headlamp lenses aswell- cleaning up the lighter haze that happens over time.
BAF Industries 1910 S. Yale Street Santa Ana, CA 92704 800-437-9893...they also have a online order system as well, but it's best to purchase from a local distributor.

An excellent alternate product is 3M Perfect It Show Car Liquid Wax- a siliconewax/polish but excellent results as well, just maybe about 90% of the qualityof the satin cream...….of which I previously used this on all my personal vehicles (including my toys) for 20+ years! Very affordable and available online, auto body paint stores and amazon.
SirWatson likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I appreciate the advice! I'll give some of those products a try and see what works for me. I plan on experimenting with different products and seeing which ones work best because everyone markets their product as the absolute be-all-end-all. It's good to know that paste waxes work with a polisher because they guy at good'ol Canadian Tire told me otherwise.

Personally, I never truly left my goth phase so black is never black enough; it's got to be as deep and dark as humanly possible. So what I gather from you guys is that it's either sealant then wax, or just one or the other?
Beechkid likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson View Post
I appreciate the advice! I'll give some of those products a try and see what works for me. I plan on experimenting with different products and seeing which ones work best because everyone markets their product as the absolute be-all-end-all. It's good to know that paste waxes work with a polisher because they guy at good'ol Canadian Tire told me otherwise.

Personally, I never truly left my goth phase so black is never black enough; it's got to be as deep and dark as humanly possible. So what I gather from you guys is that it's either sealant then wax, or just one or the other?

It is best not to combined different products..... use wax or sealant.....BTW, since you are talking black cars, Satin Crème by BAF is the product that is used at the Monterey Concourse de elegeance show for the past 10 years by the "prep team". IMHO, you can't go wrong with a black car with either 3m or BAF

Flatheads ain't so bad!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
It is best not to combined different products..... use wax or sealant.....BTW, since you are talking black cars, Satin Crème by BAF is the product that is used at the Monterey Concourse de elegeance show for the past 10 years by the "prep team". IMHO, you can't go wrong with a black car with either 3m or BAF
I will definitely try to get my hands on some Satin Creme to try out! I ended up doing wash > claybar > polish > sealant > wax. Next time I will try just sealant or wax and see how it holds up long term, but for now it looks great!

I assume that the reason you suggest not mixing products is for longevity, correct Beechkid? or did I just get lucky with these two products working (for now)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5466.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	604289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5458.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	604291  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson View Post
I will definitely try to get my hands on some Satin Creme to try out! I ended up doing wash > claybar > polish > sealant > wax. Next time I will try just sealant or wax and see how it holds up long term, but for now it looks great!

I assume that the reason you suggest not mixing products is for longevity, correct Beechkid? or did I just get lucky with these two products working (for now)?
Because these are all "chemicals", they need to be compatible with each other..... so either you were very lucky and the 2 enhanced each other or, the top coat literally dissolved the bottom coat, and you have actually found a product that works for your liking!
SirWatson likes this.

Flatheads ain't so bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page