Ford Mustang is the real brotherhood of Muscle

Just Bring it!!

Psalms 91 11-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019
PONY Member

Garage
My neighbor uses a Harbor Freight portable carport. They run about $180 and last for years.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
@Travis98146 I don't know if I have the room for that lol, but that seems like a good idea once I sell my other mustang.

Wolfzrat
2003 Ford Mustang GT V8 Manual
Ford Mustang is the real brotherhood of Muscle

Just Bring it!!

Psalms 91 11-12

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019
PONY Member

Garage
My neighbor had tried several different chemicals and none seemed to work. The carport's footprint in only 3 feet wider and 6 feet longer than your car. Good luck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019
Apprentice

I've used Aerospace 303 Protectant for years. I'm not sure about waterproofing but it does block UV rays and keeps the top looking new. I use it on my tires and interior as well. It's one of the best detailing items I've ever used.
coastie72 likes this.

He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
My neighbor uses a Harbor Freight portable carport. They run about $180 and last for years.
The only time I saw anyone use a portable carport was to hide their Pontiac Aztek so the neighbors' property value wasn't downgraded.

Use the portable garages for temp paint barns or to run a roadside Paintless Dent Repair after a hail storm.

When the wind tears it down and rakes the frame across your car . . . . .
Cobra2572 likes this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019
BOSS Member

IMHO, here's the issue......covert. tops are fabric that need to breathe....using most any "product" to protect against UV, etc. is going to obstruct or seal in dirt, contamination, etc....none of which is good for the top. IMHO, only use a good quality cleaner for routine maintenance..nothing more, nothing less and for real UV/IR protection, keep it covered.

BTW, the bed cover on my truck I built myself and had an upholsterer use a hard pad and convertible top material (like what is used on limo's) to create the finished look.....it's a maroon red with black speckles material.....well over 10 years old, the truck is parked outside under a carport, and it still looks as good as the day it was installed.
SaddledUp and Cobra2572 like this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019
Apprentice

Okay Beechkid, since I have a lot of respect for your knowledge, I had to go do some research to make sure I wasn't damaging my top. Aerospace 303 Protectant is good to use on vinyl tops, which I have. Granted, the convertibles I own(ed) were (are) all fair weather cars that didn't (don't) sit outside, so I never really had any weathering issues. In deference to your well-taken point about breathability, here is a product that specifically states that it allows for that. The original poster may want to take a look at it.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/prod...le-top-sealant

He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra2572 View Post
Okay Beechkid, since I have a lot of respect for your knowledge, I had to go do some research to make sure I wasn't damaging my top. Aerospace 303 Protectant is good to use on vinyl tops, which I have. Granted, the convertibles I own(ed) were (are) all fair weather cars that didn't (don't) sit outside, so I never really had any weathering issues. In deference to your well-taken point about breathability, here is a product that specifically states that it allows for that. The original poster may want to take a look at it.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/prod...le-top-sealant

I will say up front, thank you.....and this may very well be an excellent product.....but I think IMHO, I would visit with a (real) upholsterer to get their take, knowledge, experience with this or other similar product (not just a shop that does part time pre-made convert top installs- I know you know what I mean).

Flatheads ain't so bad!
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Waterproofing my convertible top

Twice a year I use the Aerospace 303 convertible top protectant on mine and it has held up pretty well. I use their cleaner too.

https://www.autogeek.net/303fabcontop.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coastie72 likes this.

Last edited by safetyfast; 04-23-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
IMHO, here's the issue......covert. tops are fabric that need to breathe....using most any "product" to protect against UV, etc. is going to obstruct or seal in dirt, contamination, etc....none of which is good for the top. IMHO, only use a good quality cleaner for routine maintenance..nothing more, nothing less and for real UV/IR protection, keep it covered.
Excellent advice, Beechkid.

Of the convertible tops I've owned, all were fabric; none was vinyl.
Without a garage, I kept them covered with NOAH covers to protect from UV and bird poop.
To avoid permanent creases, don't store your car with the top down for long periods.

I never put convertibles through automatic car washes.

For quick cleaning of dust and pollen after driving or lengthy parking, I use 3M lint rollers with excellent results.

If it's absolutely necessary to clean a top, I use diluted Simple Green. Rinse well and air dry.

I'm of the belief that top "Coatings" and "Treatments" are at best temporary, at worse a buildup of chemicals.

Happy Motoring.
Beechkid likes this.

2018 GT Premium Fastback Lightning Blue/Auto10.
2017 Raptor Black/Auto10/Glass Roof.
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I've used the RaggTopp products on my vinyl 2012 Mustang convertible since I bought it in February 2016. I park it outside in Maryland, so I keep it covered with a Noah cover. The top still looks good. I apply the cleaner and protectant only once a year; I'm coming up on 12 months now, and the top still beads water in the rain.
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have used 303 products for many years and found them to be the best for tops.
https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/303-products/

2009 Mustang Gt auto/ Light Graphite interior/ Vapor Silver.

Car just rolled over 10,000 miles.
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddledUp View Post
For quick cleaning of dust and pollen after driving or lengthy parking, I use 3M lint rollers with excellent results.

If it's absolutely necessary to clean a top, I use diluted Simple Green. Rinse well and air dry.

I'm a big fan of SG as well!!! The 3M lint rollers...that is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flatheads ain't so bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page