What products to use to clean and maintain the appearance of convertible tops? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Question Convertible owners! Products for Convert. Top

I have just recently joined the group of convertible owners, and I am not sure what kind of products to look for that I can use to clean and maintain the apperance of the convertible top itself.

The car sits in my Car Port out of the sun but she comes out on the weekends, and I want to keep the top from fading. Not only that, but my poor baby got hit by the birds, so what would take those white spots out without damage?

What do you guys use/recommend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003
5.0L Member

My dad doesn't use anything on his top (2000 GT w/tan top), but I have wanted to pick up some of the Mothers Convertable Top cleaner from advance and try it out. I've read a few good things on it on the net, but like I said, I haven't tried it personally.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003
Apprentice

What kind of top: vinyl or ragtop?

Craig Janas
1990 7-UP convertible
Incon twin turbo

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

I am not sure what this thing is made of, its like a viynal, but feels soft. Some sort of synthetic materail.

Anyways, its on a 2001 GT.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ScottHalliday
I also use Mothers Convertable Top cleaner on my 92 Mustang and so far, it seems to do a good job without any apparent problems.

Scott Halliday
1992 Red 347 Automatic Limited Edition Convertible
1991 Red 5.0L 5-Speed Hatchback
1989 Black 5.0L 5-Speed Coupe
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003

I've been doing quite a bit of research into this subject, as I too am a brand new convert owner. Just picked up my '01 GT and have been driving non-stop all weekend. It appears that the top's fabric is a vinyl sailcloth, not canvass.
Haartz, the company which provides the material for many convertibles, endorses "Ragg Topp" cleaner. It's supposed to work on cloth or vinyl. But the preserve that you apply after cleaning must be specifically for cloth or vinyl. They make separate products. But just to by safe, have a dealer tell you what's on top, as it may or may not be the original material.

http://www.properautocare.com/domcon.html

http://www.autofanatics.com/contopcar1.html
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003
74stang2togo

Been using the Mothers Convertible Top Cleaner on my T-bird's Landau top and my sister's '88 LX vert both... very pleased with the results.

(should've seen her face when she saw how many different solutions it takes to PROPERLY clean a car! But she's getting the hang of it, she did most of the car herself (with some help, after I showed her how to use the different solutions) she thinks that Mothers makes the best stuff in the world now... because her car (which was extremely weatherbeaten when we got it home, and the top looked completely ruined) looks pretty good!)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to GhostDog 5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to GhostDog 5.0
to get the bird crap off of the car, i just use my power washer. after i get it wet, i make sure i dry it with a towel instead of letting it air dry. if you let it air dry, you get white spots.

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003

Thumbs up RaggTop Rules!

I just used the Raggtop product on my '93 with tremendous results.

Check out pic attached!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p5170025sm.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	2077  
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to vibred93vert
Where do you guys buy ragg top?? I have been using meguires heavy duty vnynl cleaner and then 303 protectant. I like my results.

I get many specialty products through the guys at "AutoFanatics". I've placed many orders with them. Good price, fast shipping...100-percent reliable.

http://store.yahoo.com/autofanatics1/contopcar1.html

FYI..with Ragg Topp, buy the cleaner (works on either vinyl or fabric tops) *AND* buy the protectant that's appropriate for your top. They have one for just vinyl and anothe for fabric only.
Trust me...this stuff restores to showroom condition and LASTS!! Once it's clean and protected, it's so much easier to keep clean.
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MSTNG-00
Convertable Top

Hey there...

Just got a 2000 GT Vert / Canvas Material...

Looking at new verts in the parking lot (not Mustangs), I realized that mine isn't as 'black' as a new one. Can anyone recommend a product which makes the top blacker? Or just giving it a good rub down with one of the cleaning products & protectants bring it back to BLACK?
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to myfast05
I use cleaner that is made by Ford on my 04 Stang rag top, but it is also cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennylessZ28
I have just recently joined the group of convertible owners, and I am not sure what kind of products to look for that I can use to clean and maintain the apperance of the convertible top itself.

The car sits in my Car Port out of the sun but she comes out on the weekends, and I want to keep the top from fading. Not only that, but my poor baby got hit by the birds, so what would take those white spots out without damage?

What do you guys use/recommend?

Life's to short to drive anything else
5.0L Member

I use STP Vinyl/plastic cleaner. Same stuff as armor all.....just 2 bucks a bottle. Works great too. I just wash my car with soap and water, dry, and apply STP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page