Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   Show & Shine (/forums/show-shine/)
-   -   What should i do to protect my 2008 mustang during winter and winter driving??? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/show-shine/130572-what-should-i-do-protect-my-2008-mustang-during-winter-winter-driving.html)

Jeff B 08-17-2008 10:35 PM

What should i do to protect my 2008 mustang during winter and winter driving???

Hey Guys,

I did not want to do this, drive my Mustang during the winter but i must.. I am heartbroken, i really wanted to store it... Instead i spent all my money purchasing the mustang i am unable to afford a winter car..:weeps

I am looking for ALL car care tips to help protect and keep it looking new. My mustang is black exterior with pony stripes down the side, with leather interior..

Thanks for all info..

natepifer 08-17-2008 10:46 PM

best thing to do is apply a good amount of wax before winter. hit the local car washes atleast once a week depending on how much salt/snow you have been driving on. a good spray down is better than nothing. if you have access to a garage about halfway through winter i would clay bar the car and wax it again...

thats just me tho im pretty "anal" about my car lol

stlwagon 08-17-2008 10:47 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Keep it washed, especially the undercarriage, so salt doesn't collect.

06Roadstarman 08-17-2008 10:51 PM

I feel for you Jeff. It really depends on how much snow you get in your area and how the roads are treated as a result. If it is salt, you will need to rinse the undercarriage out often to slow down the development of rust. Notice I said slow down....you won't eliminate it. Alternatively, you can perhaps get your undercarriage treated.....better yet do it yourself so you know it gets good coverage. It won't be cheap but it will be the best protection for the steel. Even if you do treat the undercarriage, rinse the salt away often.

Your interior is probably going to take a beating. Salt and sand will be brutal on you carpet. You will definitely want to put in a plastic/rubber mat in the front that will catch most of the particles. Otherwise, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum so that the sand and salt don't get trapped in the carpet.

You could always move south as a last resort!

Good Luck.

ModsStang 08-18-2008 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natepifer (Post 1137079)
best thing to do is apply a good amount of wax before winter. hit the local car washes atleast once a week depending on how much salt/snow you have been driving on. a good spray down is better than nothing. if you have access to a garage about halfway through winter i would clay bar the car and wax it again...

thats just me tho im pretty "anal" about my car lol

Excellent advice...

Before the winter, I would give it a great detail job... I do this twice a year.

Wash
Claybar
Wash
Polish
Wax - 1st layer of protection
Wax - 2nd layer of protection
Seal - 3rd layer of protection

I'd also invest in a cover... I take mine on and off every day and it helps protect the ride quite a bit... from the tree leaves to bird poops... it makes a big difference in how many times the car needs a wash!

Instant detail it between washings and get a good pair of gloves... LOL :bigthumbsup :hihi: :bigthumbsup

Jeff B 08-18-2008 02:20 PM

This past winter was bad. we got over 750cm (295inches)

Freezing rain, and a ton of salt residue on the road.

I am planning on getting:

Snow Tiers ( A MUST)
Seat covers (For the leather)
Car Cover
Under Coating ( Wax- Oil not sure yet)
Plastic for the carpet
Floor mats (With high outer walls to prevent leakage)

Anything else

I'll do anything to keep it prestene condition.

Thanks

ModsStang 08-18-2008 04:41 PM

Oh my good God - - - I can't even think to help ya with that! That's a boatload of snow, a zillion times over!!!

Maybe trade the Mustang for a snowmobile? lol :D :hihi:

Just kidding!!

jim293 08-22-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff B (Post 1137843)
This past winter was bad. we got over 750cm (295inches)

Freezing rain, and a ton of salt residue on the road.

I am planning on getting:

Snow Tiers ( A MUST)
Seat covers (For the leather)
Car Cover
Under Coating ( Wax- Oil not sure yet)
Plastic for the carpet
Floor mats (With high outer walls to prevent leakage)

Anything else

I'll do anything to keep it prestene condition.

Thanks

That is incredible the amout of snow you get. With that amount of snow you will really have to keep up on it. I bet they really put down the salt on your roads. Good luck.

allforgotten on 08-22-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06Roadstarman (Post 1137096)
Alternatively, you can perhaps get your undercarriage treated.....better yet do it yourself so you know it gets good coverage. It won't be cheap but it will be the best protection for the steel. Even if you do treat the undercarriage, rinse the salt away often.

How and/or where might one get this done?

hotshot 08-26-2008 11:32 PM

I found a car wash down in North Carolina that actually washes the undercarriage for an extra few bucks :)

jessekelli 08-30-2008 07:00 PM

glad i live in florida id keep it washed the best you can

tomsteve 09-16-2008 10:03 AM

i used to take my ramps with me to the car wash so i could get the undercarraige better. seemed to work pretty good as i didnt get any rust for a very long time, as in many years, and this is northern mi.

gs2007GT500 09-17-2008 10:15 AM

I have heard of people using spray on bedliner as an undercarriage protectant also. Folks back where I grew up use it on their 4x4's.