What should i do to protect my 2008 mustang during winter and winter driving??? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

What should i do to protect my 2008 mustang during winter and winter driving???

Hey Guys,

I did not want to do this, drive my Mustang during the winter but i must.. I am heartbroken, i really wanted to store it... Instead i spent all my money purchasing the mustang i am unable to afford a winter car..

I am looking for ALL car care tips to help protect and keep it looking new. My mustang is black exterior with pony stripes down the side, with leather interior..

Thanks for all info..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008
Apprentice
V6 Member

best thing to do is apply a good amount of wax before winter. hit the local car washes atleast once a week depending on how much salt/snow you have been driving on. a good spray down is better than nothing. if you have access to a garage about halfway through winter i would clay bar the car and wax it again...

thats just me tho im pretty "anal" about my car lol

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Keep it washed, especially the undercarriage, so salt doesn't collect.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I feel for you Jeff. It really depends on how much snow you get in your area and how the roads are treated as a result. If it is salt, you will need to rinse the undercarriage out often to slow down the development of rust. Notice I said slow down....you won't eliminate it. Alternatively, you can perhaps get your undercarriage treated.....better yet do it yourself so you know it gets good coverage. It won't be cheap but it will be the best protection for the steel. Even if you do treat the undercarriage, rinse the salt away often.

Your interior is probably going to take a beating. Salt and sand will be brutal on you carpet. You will definitely want to put in a plastic/rubber mat in the front that will catch most of the particles. Otherwise, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum so that the sand and salt don't get trapped in the carpet.

You could always move south as a last resort!

Good Luck.

2008 Vapor Metallic GT Premium - 5 Spd, IUP, GTAP, Pypes Violators, 17" Aftermarket Wheels (Black/Polished), 8" Shorty Antenna, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Tinted Windows, GT500 Pedals, Pony Tri-bar Mats, CHE LCAs, Mag B-out Panel, GT Pony Dead Pedal, Smoked LED 3rd Brake Lt., Blkd-out turn sigs w/Stealth Bulbs, Projector HLs, Xenon 1/4 Window Lvrs, Splash Guards , Sequentials.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008
ModsStang

Quote:
Originally Posted by natepifer View Post
best thing to do is apply a good amount of wax before winter. hit the local car washes atleast once a week depending on how much salt/snow you have been driving on. a good spray down is better than nothing. if you have access to a garage about halfway through winter i would clay bar the car and wax it again...

thats just me tho im pretty "anal" about my car lol
Excellent advice...

Before the winter, I would give it a great detail job... I do this twice a year.

Wash
Claybar
Wash
Polish
Wax - 1st layer of protection
Wax - 2nd layer of protection
Seal - 3rd layer of protection

I'd also invest in a cover... I take mine on and off every day and it helps protect the ride quite a bit... from the tree leaves to bird poops... it makes a big difference in how many times the car needs a wash!

Instant detail it between washings and get a good pair of gloves... LOL :hihi:
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

This past winter was bad. we got over 750cm (295inches)

Freezing rain, and a ton of salt residue on the road.

I am planning on getting:

Snow Tiers ( A MUST)
Seat covers (For the leather)
Car Cover
Under Coating ( Wax- Oil not sure yet)
Plastic for the carpet
Floor mats (With high outer walls to prevent leakage)

Anything else

I'll do anything to keep it prestene condition.

Thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008
ModsStang

Oh my good God - - - I can't even think to help ya with that! That's a boatload of snow, a zillion times over!!!

Maybe trade the Mustang for a snowmobile? lol :hihi:

Just kidding!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jim293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
This past winter was bad. we got over 750cm (295inches)

Freezing rain, and a ton of salt residue on the road.

I am planning on getting:

Snow Tiers ( A MUST)
Seat covers (For the leather)
Car Cover
Under Coating ( Wax- Oil not sure yet)
Plastic for the carpet
Floor mats (With high outer walls to prevent leakage)

Anything else

I'll do anything to keep it prestene condition.

Thanks
That is incredible the amout of snow you get. With that amount of snow you will really have to keep up on it. I bet they really put down the salt on your roads. Good luck.

2002 Saleen S/C Coupe
#293 Torch Red
21st Century Intercooler & Heat Exchanger
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
#14 RMR (Red Mustang Registry)
Power in the hands of a few
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Roadstarman View Post
Alternatively, you can perhaps get your undercarriage treated.....better yet do it yourself so you know it gets good coverage. It won't be cheap but it will be the best protection for the steel. Even if you do treat the undercarriage, rinse the salt away often.
How and/or where might one get this done?
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
I found a car wash down in North Carolina that actually washes the undercarriage for an extra few bucks

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

4.6L Member

glad i live in florida id keep it washed the best you can
V6 Member

i used to take my ramps with me to the car wash so i could get the undercarraige better. seemed to work pretty good as i didnt get any rust for a very long time, as in many years, and this is northern mi.
Apprentice
S197 Member

I have heard of people using spray on bedliner as an undercarriage protectant also. Folks back where I grew up use it on their 4x4's.

2007 Shelby GT500
Build Date: 12/19/2006
#4135 of 8152 Coupes
#744 of 1689 Ebony/Tungsten Stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page