Cleaning the backside of your wheels - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008 Thread Starter
BOSS Member

Garage
Cleaning the backside of your wheels

Is there an easy way to clean the backside of the wheels? I know you can take the wheels off the car and do it but is there a easy way to clean them while they're on the car.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008
ModsStang

Well, I am not sure if this is "clean enough" for ya... but I bought a thin rim brush from R & S and use that to get in the back of the rims... it does an awesome job. So much so, in fact - my brother asked me how I got it clean back there... The only area you have a problem getting to is where the brake caliper is... but no one can see that anyway...:nogrinner

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008 Thread Starter
BOSS Member

Garage
There a lot of rust and brake dust stain on mine so It looks like I will have to pull the wheels off. I will give the brush a try first.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008
ModsStang

Not sure what types of wheels you have - how about a handheld steamer? (check finish...)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jim293
I think it depends on the rims you own. sometimes you can get right in there and on other rims it is really hard so then you would want to take the rim off the car and give them a real good scrubbing.

2002 Saleen S/C Coupe
#293 Torch Red
21st Century Intercooler & Heat Exchanger
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
#14 RMR (Red Mustang Registry)
Power in the hands of a few
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to GuitarstarX7
Have you tried the spray on wheel cleaner? You just wash the car, then spray it on the wheel and hose it off. It should dissolve most of the grime off. Just be careful where you get it cause its pretty strong.

2004 3.9L/auto
-Mac CAI, 73mm Mass Air
-Dual Flowmaster 40s, H pipe, 2.25 in pipe
-42% Underdrive Pulleys
-SCT Tuned
-4.10 Gears & Trac-lok
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008 Thread Starter
BOSS Member

Garage
I have the polished Ford fanblades and when you look through the wheel you can see the stains behind the brake rotors. The face of the wheel is easy to clean but you can see through the wheel to the stained backside. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I just pull my wheels off, whsh and wax them. the was seems to help the break dust not collect as much

2008 Grabber Orange GT premium, 5 speed manual, 3.31s
C&L Racer CAI, Kooks LT headers and catted H pipe, MAC Boom Tubes, Diablosport Predator Tuner with AM/Bama Tunes

Heroes Live Forever
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008
4.6L Member

does the steamer really work?
ModsStang

My neighbor uses it all the time on his car rims... test a small area you can't see well first... I wouldn't go all out until you know it's safe for your rims...
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to red pony chick
Jeeeezzzzzeeeee...now ya tell me I gotta clean the back of my tires? Those little boys at the car wash place aren't gonna love me anymore

2003 Mustang Convertible
4.6L Member

I use an old car wash sponge. Lather it up really well and place it inside the wheel and just move it around the inner dia of the wheel. Since it's foam it can get around the brake caliper fairly easy. I do have 5 spoke chrome wheels which doesn't make it too hard though.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Use a toliet brush. One with no metal on it. Cut the handle down and it get in between the caliper and the wheel. My sound stupid and look even retarded, but it works for mine.

Steeda CAI W/93 SCT Tune, Steeda CMDP, Steeda UDP, Steeda LCA, Steeda UCA, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda Panhard Bar & Brace, Steeda Hood Strut Mounts, Steeda adjustable Camber Plates, Tokico D-Specs, G2 Painted Calipers,Sequentail Tail Lights, Magnaflow Free-Flo Cats W/Exhaust, Homelink Self Dimming Rear Veiw Mirror W/ Garage Door Opener, Compass & Temp, Eclipse AVN 5510 Head Unit W/ Nav, Chrome BBK Plenum Cover and various Dress-up Items.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008 Thread Starter
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoStang View Post
Use a toliet brush. One with no metal on it. Cut the handle down and it get in between the caliper and the wheel. My sound stupid and look even retarded, but it works for mine.
What cleaning solution do you use with the brush ?

ModsStang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoStang View Post
That's interesting, I'll have to give that a try... because I tried to get my hand in by the caliper and there is no room at all... I'll let you know how I make out on next detail... my neighbors will know, for sure, I'm off my rocker using a toilet brush...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page