Convertible Top Care and Repair for 1986 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008 Thread Starter

Convertible Top Care and Repair for 1986 Mustang

I have an 86 Convertiable that has had a lack of care. The Convertiable top portion is in good condition with a small tear at the stable line so I have decided to just replace the back window section.
What is the best way to repair a small tear in the top? I was thinking a piece of the top with an adhesive. But what kind of adhesive or glue should I use?
As for care what is the best way to preserve the top material itself, to keep it clean restore and help it last?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Eddie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_Carey View Post
I have an 86 Convertiable that has had a lack of care. The Convertiable top portion is in good condition with a small tear at the stable line so I have decided to just replace the back window section.
What is the best way to repair a small tear in the top? I was thinking a piece of the top with an adhesive. But what kind of adhesive or glue should I use?
As for care what is the best way to preserve the top material itself, to keep it clean restore and help it last?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Eddie
I would evaluate the whole top with a critical eye before making repairs.

If the current tear is really a "wear through", then you probably have multiple spots (they will look shiny or frayed) where the same thing is about to happen. Better to just replace the whole top if that is the case. Putting additional money and time into a worn out top is a waste.

If you ARE just looking at a small tear, you can try a vinyl repair kit - this will work if you have access to the back of the fabric.

You can also take the car to an auto upholstery shop and see what they say about doing a repair. Sometimes sewing in a patch is the best alternative, and they can do this.

Given the age of the car, I suspect the top is in need of replacement, frankly.

As for care for the top, the main damange done is from two sources:

1. Dumb owners. Piling junk into the well where the top stores itself when its down is a sure-fire way of ruining a top. Raising and lowering the top when the car is moving? Dumb. Over-stuffing the trunk with stuff that can poke the top is another duh moment.

2. The Sun. UV rays kill convertible tops. Simple as that. If you have a garage or carport, it helps a lot. Otherwise find a good UV protectant and keep the top treated (at least once a month, believe it or not), but even then, the Sun will cook that top eventually. Mother's and Meguiar's make good products for this.

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008 Thread Starter

A small tear

It is a tear about and inch or so right on the knuckle where the pads meet and the trim is stabled in. It's not a wear thru but a tear from too many staples and where staples missed. I was just going to replace the rear window since the top itself has been replaced and all seems to be in good shape except for the one tear.

Even tried the "Will it tear more test" and the vinyl is still strong, looking at it it seems to be more of a cut.

Thanks for the info it will help me make a decision on just forking out the money and taking the weekend to replace the entire top.

Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page