12 Cleaning Myths! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009
ModsStang

12 Cleaning Myths!

This was such an interesting find, I knew I had to post it!! Enjoy!

Twelve car cleaning myths
By J.D. Booth

-- Take a short drive just about anywhere and glance at the car or truck next to you. Chances are you'll get a feel for what the owner of that vehicle sees as "clean" -- underscoring the obvious difference in standards that exist among owners.

In short, when it comes to auto hygiene, clean may be in the eye of the one with the bucket.

Barry Meguiar, who heads the business of the same name, is one who's out to set the record straight, in the process dispelling what his third generation family company says is the "dirty dozen" car care myths.

Myth 1: Dishwashing detergent is safe to use as a car wash.

First among them is the idea that plain, ordinary dishwashing detergent is just fine and dandy for car wash purposes.

Even in the face of other opinion that suggests "go ahead, not a problem" when it comes to squeezing a little into a bucket of hot water and tackling the SUV or four-door sedan, Meguiar nixes the idea altogether.

"Any dishwashing detergent is meant to remove everything from the surface," he says. "That will include stripping the polymers of the paint surface and the last thing you want the paint finish to be is squeaky clean."

Meguiar likens the effect of dishwashing detergent to what it does to someone's hands. "Too much detergent will dry the skin. On the surface of a car, the same thing occurs; dishwashing detergent actually accelerates the oxidation process when you use it on a regular basis."

Myth 2: Washing and cleaning are the same.

A car wash removes loose contaminants; cleaning removes stubborn stains, blemishes and bonded contaminants, explains Meguiar. Bonded contaminants? Think tree sap and, almost as bad, an aerosol spray of tire rubber that no one can escape.

"When you're driving behind someone, the rubber from the tires is landing somewhere -- and that's on your vehicle."

Myth 3: If a car looks shiny, the cleaning process can be skipped.

In this case, seeing is quite definitely not something you want to believe. "Your eyes can't tell you what's going on in the paint finish," says Meguiar, who suggests rubbing the face of your hand over the surface of the vehicle after a car wash.

"It should feel like glass if it's right. Most of the time it's going to feel more like sandpaper. You can feel the contaminants." Products like a clay bar can easily remove bonded contaminants, something that's essential before the application of a polish or wax.

Myth 4: Clay bars should only be used by professionals.

Remember how easy it was to use Silly Putty? Using a clay bar is just as easy, the bar (which comes in a kit) is able to grab and gently remove all bonded contaminants (like the tree sap and road rubber).

Myth 5: Waxing can remove swirl marks.

Barry Meguiar says swirl marks, which are nothing more than scratches in the surface of a vehicle, can only be removed by getting to the bottom of it -- literally.

Today's modern paint finish actually magnifies the scratches, making swirl marks one of the more troubling aspects of maintaining a vehicle's finish. "We get more calls about swirl marks than anything else," says Meguiar.

Getting rid of them will depend on how deep the scratch is, with micro-fine, hairline scratches taken care of with a non-abrasive paint cleaner; moderate ones may require something a little more serious; even deeper swirl marks (caused by improper use of rotary buffers and rubbing compounds) may need professional color sanding and buffing.

Myth 6: There is no difference between polishing and waxing.

Understanding what polishing and waxing are designed to do is key. Polishing creates a brilliant high gloss surface; waxing protects the vehicle's finish by coating it with waxes polymers, resins and silicones. Which means waxing won't make a dull surface shiny.

Myth 7: Machine polishers damage the paint finish.

Speed is the key; a dual action polisher or orbital buffer shouldn't be a problem for even the most inexperienced. Not so with rotary buffers, which operate at much higher RPMs and are best left to the pros.

Myth 8: Diapers, t-shirts and flannel make good cleaning cloths.

A smooth surface is exactly what you don't want to see in a cloth, the reason being those fine particulates that you're trying to capture.

While the cloth diaper or t-shirt may be clean, it's actually scratching the surface; a terrycloth premium microfiber towel is what's recommended, the deep pile surface creating a buffer zone that will pick up the bad stuff, not grind it into the paint finish.

Myth 9: Wax protection can be guaranteed to last up to one year.

A claim may help sell a product, but Barry Meguiar says there are enough variables in place that make any such guarantees suspect.

A better strategy might be to consider those differences -- weather, use of road salt, whether your vehicle is parked outside or garaged -- and maintain accordingly. Meguiar's is taking that idea one step further with a personalized service that gives owners options based on their expectations.

Myth 10: Paste wax offers greater protection than liquid wax.

While Barry Meguiar admits this once was true, times have changed. "In the old days, there was a great reliance on carnauba wax, which was the hardest natural wax available.

Fifty years later we have synthetic waxes, polymers and resins that have far more resilience than carnauba and enhance the gloss. Interestingly, carnauba (which people still want to see in a product) actually grays the surface of a vehicle."

Myth 11: Lighting a hood on fire, without damaging the paint finish, proves the protective qualities of a car wax.

It may be a nice science trick, but that's about it. Even if the paint surface has little or no protection, setting fire to a pool of alcohol will produce nothing more than a barely warm surface when the flame goes out--which it will do in just a few seconds.

Myth 12: Once a car is waxed, regularly protecting the paint finish becomes unnecessary.

Remember that tree sap and tire rubber? It's never-ending, which means so is the need to remove it (and everything else the world might throw at the surface of your vehicle).

The best strategy: remove the contaminants with a mist and wipe product before they have time to bond to the vehicle's paint.

2009 AOL, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Cool and infomative peice.Thanks for the info !!

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jim293
And I think that I have heard most of those as well. Thanks for that Judi.

2002 Saleen S/C Coupe
#293 Torch Red
21st Century Intercooler & Heat Exchanger
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
#14 RMR (Red Mustang Registry)
Power in the hands of a few

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Nice bit of info Judi.Thanks.

2005 4.0
Sonic Blue Premium Coupe
Auto/Spoiler Delete
Ford Racing CAI
GT Takeoff Muffler
Silver Stripes
Ford Racing License Plate
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Good post, Judi.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
Apprentice

Very informative for a noob such as I
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

..............Interesting...............

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012
Apprentice

Good stuff there. Thanks!

2013 Black Mustang GT Premium | Cashmere Trim | Electronics Package with Navigation | Comfort Package | 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012
Apprentice

Thanks for this... I've never really cleaned/washed my own car before. just ordered a 2013 and it'll be my first car.

Information like this helps a lot!

2013 V6, Performance White, MCA, Glass Roof, Leather Recaro Seats, Rear Camera
Ordered: 8/6 Sticker: 8/25 Build: 9/13 ETA1: 9/23 ETA2: 10/2 ETA 3: 10/13 Picked Up: 10/11 :kooky:
Viper 5704 Alarm System (with Remote Start), Auto-dimming Rear View Mirror (with Display, Homelink, & Compass), Quick-Drain Oil Change Valve, Black JLT Oil Separator, Black MMD Hood Struts, LED License Plate Light Conversion, 3rd Brake Light Pulser
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I hate to think how many times I washed the car with dish soap years ago because I was to lazy to even buy car wash. The car wash police would have locked me up. Never again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page