mirror painting question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003 Thread Starter

mirror painting question

i'll be gettin my stang in october.. and since i cant drive for another 11 months after that i'm gonna start doin little mods.. who all thinks i should color match the exterior mirrors? and how much would it cost.. for all who have forgotten heres a pic of the stang.. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...72640164uJgnIB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003 Thread Starter

so nobody can help me?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003
GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
i dont know about cost, but i vote for the painted mirrors.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Re: mirror painting question

Quote:
Originally posted by noone
... who all thinks i should color match the exterior mirrors?...
I think color matched mirrors look great. I'm planning on doing it myself when I have the Vert painted this winter.

"Beer is NOT the answer. Beer? Is the question. The answer is YES!"

'91 GT Conv.
BBK shorty hdrs., BBK Hi Flow H Pipe, Flowmasters, BBK CAI, underdrive pullies, and 17in cobra rims.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003
4.6L Member

Not for sure but it should go without saying that the mirrors will need to be sanded smooth before they can be painted (since Ford was nice enough to make the mirrors rigid for us!...Everybody "Thanks Ford!"). Do your self a favor and sand them down before taking them to a body shop. It will save you some money. Also, the mirrors are easy to mask off so do that too. That should keep the cost to a minimum. Unfortunately, with the varying costs of paints it is hard to give a true estimate, but should not run more than $100. on OEM paint.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003
PONY Member
V6 Member

I thought about painting mine too.. but then realized that I like them black.

- Sam

The shackles of opression and dependence are most easily slipped on with a smile and kind words of hope.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shartley
Heh, yeah you really need to have the right color to paint the mirrors. Thought about it myself, but my Saleen is metallic purple and it would really be too much. Bright colors are a little different. White (esp. pearl) Bright Atlantic Blue, a flasky shade of red, etc. By the way, Cal. Mustang used to sell some leather bras for the mirrors. Really looks unique and though it is a personal taste preference I kinda like 'em. Check them out. www.californiamustang.com
:p
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shartley
I like mine black too So I'm painting them black! lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CragarShinoda
Heh, yeah you really need to have the right color to paint the mirrors. Thought about it myself, but my Saleen is metallic purple and it would really be too much. Bright colors are a little different. White (esp. pearl) Bright Atlantic Blue, a flasky shade of red, etc. By the way, Cal. Mustang used to sell some leather bras for the mirrors. Really looks unique and though it is a personal taste preference I kinda like 'em. Check them out. www.californiamustang.com
:p
I know what you mean… mine is officially green, but it has so much blue in it that when we re-tested the paint it comes back as a blue. The black works very well with this dark color.

As for the mirror bras… I looked into them briefly, VERY briefly. I really like the bra on the front of my car (in spite of what some say… ), but I think on the mirrors would be a bit too much for my taste.

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam94GT
I like mine black too So I'm painting them black! lol
Yup, you can do that. As for mine, I just make sure I go over them real good whenever I detail my car… which is often. I am thinking of putting on those mirror covers that have the turn signals on the sides (facing front) though. I am going for a sleek look with my car and I think those might add a nice touch….. maybe.

- Sam

The shackles of opression and dependence are most easily slipped on with a smile and kind words of hope.
4.6L Member

Yup, you can do that. As for mine, I just make sure I go over them real good whenever I detail my car… which is often. I am thinking of putting on those mirror covers that have the turn signals on the sides (facing front) though. I am going for a sleek look with my car and I think those might add a nice touch….. maybe. [/B][/QUOTE]

I actually use tire gel on my mirrors before a show with a lot of success. Just make sure not to get any on the body or windows. Oh, and be sure to wipe off the tire gel (Turtle Wax makes the best one called Tire Wax) thoroughly before taking a drive or else bugs will stick to it. Just wipe on and wipe off for a really good shine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page