Hand waxed too soon after paint! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hand waxed too soon after paint!

I am freaking out now because i asked the guy who painted my car if i can wash it and wax the paint i got done like 2 weeks ago. He said it was fine so i did it last night now i'm freaking out because everyone says to wait 30 days at least!!! AHHHHH!!! So whats up will i see something right away should i strip the wax what should I do!

2005 Mustang GT Auto: Mineral Grey with Black stripes, Steeda UDPs, Flowmaster American thunder Axle backs, Bassani catted X-pipe , JLT CAI, Ford racing 4.10 gears, Cervini here and there.

The most powerful car in the parking lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Don't worry you're okay! When I had my 2000 painted I waxed it a week later with no problems.

10+ Year Mustang owner.
99 Mustang GT - mint condition
-
04 Terminator - Pullied, diablo predator tuner with dyno tune, airbags, MM subs/cc plates, Wilwood brakes, 4 point roll bar, FR500 steering wheel, staggered bullitts, JLT cai, Magnaflow exhaust, mgw shifter

00 V6 - Kenny Brown V6 stuff, Dr Gas x pipe
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

ok cool id hate to wake up in the morning and see my car all melted on the ground!!

2005 Mustang GT Auto: Mineral Grey with Black stripes, Steeda UDPs, Flowmaster American thunder Axle backs, Bassani catted X-pipe , JLT CAI, Ford racing 4.10 gears, Cervini here and there.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010
Rookie

Smile pictures worth 55 words or so. - In this economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansBAJ View Post
I am freaking out now because i asked the guy who painted my car if i can wash it and wax the paint i got done like 2 weeks ago. He said it was fine so i did it last night now i'm freaking out because everyone says to wait 30 days at least!!! AHHHHH!!! So whats up will i see something right away should i strip the wax what should I do!
Waiting too long is not good - YOU'RE FINE.
The paint man is the expert on the paint he did so go with that. If iy looks good it is good with paint.

How about some pics?
[email protected]
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010
GT Member

Quote:
they say wait 30 days until waxing to let paint "completely cure" and to let all the solvents and everything escape. but I've heard that 7 days is all it takes.

If you want, you could strip it just for piece of mind. But it may be just fine. But if not, and something messes up, then you know what may have caused it

'87 COUPE, DSS 331, AFR 185's, XE282HR Cam, Victor Jr. Intake, Barry Grant Speed Demon 650, Long Tubes, PA Super Comp C4

11.49 @ 119 1.72 60'
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
ok cool id hate to wake up in the morning and see my car all melted on the ground!!
lol. Post some pics!!!

10+ Year Mustang owner.
-
04 Terminator - Pullied, diablo predator tuner with dyno tune, airbags, MM subs/cc plates, Wilwood brakes, 4 point roll bar, FR500 steering wheel, staggered bullitts, JLT cai, Magnaflow exhaust, mgw shifter

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...r-stripes.html

i have before and after pics here the second set of pics is after the waxing

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If you want, you could strip it just for piece of mind. But it may be just fine. But if not, and something messes up, then you know what may have caused it[/quote]
i dunno about stripping it my arm still hurts from waxing it

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Looks awesome man!!!

10+ Year Mustang owner.
-

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

its my baby i want to make sure its taken care of the last owners kept it outside and the vinyl stripes were all f*(&)( up so i took them off in ONLY 14 hrs

Apprentice

I don't think that it will be that big of a deal because I got my new bumper installed and painted and I washed and waxed it two days afterwards and up till now i have not seen any adverse side effects.
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Come to think of it, looking back I got my car back on a Monday and they finished painting it on the Friday before. I believe I waxed it that same day if not the next day after...

If you are still worried about it look at my profile pictures at my silver Mustang. It was painted at 80,000 miles and in those pics it was at 180,000 miles.

10+ Year Mustang owner.
-

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_35th View Post
Come to think of it, looking back I got my car back on a Monday and they finished painting it on the Friday before. I believe I waxed it that same day if not the next day after...

If you are still worried about it look at my profile pictures at my silver Mustang. It was painted at 80,000 miles and in those pics it was at 180,000 miles.
cool man thats a mean v6 dont u wish u could have all yer stangs at once i kinda miss my 00 gt

PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
cool man thats a mean v6 dont u wish u could have all yer stangs at once i kinda miss my 00 gt
Thanks man. Yes I know what you mean. I wish I could have kept them all. I bought that 6'r brand new. It was my first Mustang. I wish I had it as my daily commuter and my GT and the Terminator as my play cars... But, oh well I guess that's life. Your GT was cool looking with the red stripe job. Your current stang though is bad to the bone.

10+ Year Mustang owner.
-

Apprentice

It depends on the paint, the process and the curing technique.

If you're concerned, wipe it with a soft microfiber and isopropyl alcohol which will remove the wax and you'll be fine.

General rule of thumb is 90 days to be absolutely safe.

Saleen Show 2013 - Saturday, September 14
More info at saleenshow.com

I get my show car detailed at:
Classy Cars Detailing in Huntington Beach - classycarsdetailing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page