What Products to use to Restore Vinyl Stripes? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

What Products to use to Restore Vinyl Stripes?

Ive had my stripes now for a little over 2 years, and they are starting to show wear... Some spots look perminent, and most of the "dirt" look doesnt come off with regular products Im using.

Id like to hear from all of you with stripes on how you keep them clean. Are there product out there that anyone has used that cleans and restores vinyl stripes?

2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT:
Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
www .GutterMindedConcepts.com
447rwhp 419ft-lbs - Stage Zero
* 466 rwhp 441ft-lbs - Stage 1 *
Brenspeed Supporter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

You could try a vinyl upholstery foam cleaner. Just be sure to use a microfibre cloth and do it on a cool surface in the shade.

Chuck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT speeder13 View Post
Ive had my stripes now for a little over 2 years, and they are starting to show wear... Some spots look perminent, and most of the "dirt" look doesnt come off with regular products Im using.

Id like to hear from all of you with stripes on how you keep them clean. Are there product out there that anyone has used that cleans and restores vinyl stripes?
joey get the vinyl removed asap i just had mine removed and had them painted on they left a ghoststripe that wouldent buff out cause the sun cooked the design into the clear coat so i had the same desighn painted on and it looks a million times better i will post pics i pick the car up tommorow . I would never use vinyl again does more harm than good.

2007 grabber orange mustang gt prem 5 speed automatic, interior upgrade package, sirus satelite radio, slp loudmouths, , 14 inch shorty antenna, 18x9 afs machined black mach1 wheels, cdc classic chin spoiler, saleen heritage rear spoiler. Agent 47 retro mirriors, bmr strut tower brace, jagger brothers splash guards. Custom painted stripes , kooks 1 5/8 long tube headers, kooks catted h pipe, steeda delete plates, c&l racer intake.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have stripes on my 2005 GT, and even though they are really old, they are in excellent condition I just wash them frequently with water.. nothing else special.

2005 Performance White GT
Exterior: SHR Honeycomb Panel, Blacked Out Tail Lights, Blacked Out Third Brake Light, 8" shorty antenna, Inner Smoked Turn Signals, Black Stripes, Black GT Rear Decklid Emblem, GT500 Spoiler, CDC Chin Spoiler, Bullitt Grille, Sequentials
Interior: RVinyl Aluminum Dash Kit, Running Pony Emblem on Arm Rest, Torch Red Door Sill Inserts and Accent Bars, Red Dome Lights, Kenwood DDX616 Headunit, Kicker L7 Sub, Kenwood 1000 Watt Amp
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010
ModsStang

OK, I have to tell you - I was this close..... to getting new stripes until last weekend.... I washed the car and thought long and hard about what to try on my stripes to get them clean - they are bright white but looked dingy due to weather, etc. (my car is now a daily driver)...

So, after trying many different things... I pulled out the "cleaner wax" that comes with the mothers clay bar kit. I tried a little spot... tried another and ended up doing the whole darn car! The stripes look brand new!!!! Once you clean them, wax them up with a few layers of wax... also, use a lot of cloths - they get dirty, fast!

A stripe company recommended orange fantastic - bah, did nothing... I tried vinyl cleaner from surf city - no way... these were that dirty... cleaner wax, made them bright white again, at least I'll get more time with them!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
Hope there's something to help restore it, they look nice.. I figured out what imma do with my car paint wise.. once I'm supercharged, imma get a 2.5in cowl hood n do the "hump" black.. I've seen it done on a GO stang n it was awesome.

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page