Custom exhaust idea-opinions please - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004 Thread Starter

Custom exhaust idea-opinions please

Hey guys. I had a brainstorm....well, actually more of a slight drizzle.....anyway, I wanted to know if you think this is physically doable.....I know the Saleen has center exit exhaust, so I figured it was.....
also wanted opinions on how you think it would look....

Please keep in mind that this is a very BAD MSPaint job....but maybe you can squint and get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stang rearshot vette exhaust.jpg
Views:	2174
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	4144  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Doesnt look bad but the problem is you need some extra bends which will restrict the exhaust flow.

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004 Thread Starter

I have a 2000 3.8, so I figured the extra restriction wouldn't be a bad thing once I convert to duals....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004
PONY Member

Chicane makes a center exhaust specifically for the mustang. You could probably go with that kit, and just swap the tips outs with the Corvette ones.

"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004 Thread Starter

Chicane kit---way too expensive, and it says it's designed to work with the Borla catback system. that tells me that it's most likely a couple of pre-bent pipes....that's it.

I'll just get a muffler shop to do it up custom for me.

As for the tips---I've looked like mad and can't find just those tips. Plus, I realized that on the 1970 Mach1 they used wide oval tips.....sooo, I've decided to use these Ractive tips (black chrome):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ractive exhaust tip black chrome.jpg
Views:	2791
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	4158  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004

while u are at the muffler shop...u are paying them, so have them search around...im sure they could dig up more then the average joe could....just my 2cents
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004

dude looks cool, but it might be restrictive if the tips are to small, i don't know what dimensions you planned on using, but as long as the overall space came out to be the same and you didn't add to many bends, it would be a pretty cool project
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004
Apprentice

I am not certain what difference there is from a 3.8 V6 or 4.6 GT as compared to the 4.6Cobra in regards to the fuel tank and provided space under the car. As with the Cobra having the IRS, there is not much room for experimentation. I have thought about that in the back of my mind prior to replacing the exhuast in my cobra. What would be cool is to have the pipes come straight back without having to bend out to the sides. What comes to mind by having a heated surface trialing behind the fuel tank sort of reminds me of the Pinto days when they blew up after being rear ended. At least there is a fuel tank shield on the under side of the car. I am not trying to rip your idea apart (only thinking out of the box for the moment). I think the redering is a cool idea. Does Saleen really have that? I have yet to see one that does, but then of course most of the Saleens I have seen in the more recent mustang styles were just decal jobs and not the prize Saleen I mistaken them to be. That makes me question if the Saleen uses a fuel cell position in a different location than the stock tank. As for the 3.8 and converting it to a dual exhaust, will increase the overall volume of the system so more bends may not be all that restrictive. I have seen similar concept in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, but the exhaust was a very large oval which just about occupied the entire rear end. If it works, go for it. Sometimes originality pays off at car shows. Then again, since the mustang out-sells most sport sedans, we like to keep our cars personalized so we can find them in a large parking lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page