How do you wash your Mustang? - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: How do you wash your Mustang?
By hand - Always 536 66.67%
By hand - when I have time 156 19.40%
By hand - when I'm in the mood 61 7.59%
Automatic car wash - Always 51 6.34%
Voters: 804. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

ONR is the best!

2012 Kona Blue V6 6M Base | Performance Package | Boss 302 Steering Wheel | MGW Shifter | Morel Components
1985.5 Black SVO | Stinger FMIC | Forced4 CAI | More Boost!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
You're aware that "A Modest Proposal" is satire, right?
wwwhhaatttt????? i had nnooooo idea that it was satire!

I use a hose, and a bucket to wash, everytime. i dont know what i would do if i lived in germany and couldnt wash my car in my driveway!

2012 v6 white, base, performance package, borla ATAKs, 4 alpine type s speakers, 35% tint
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rider View Post
wwwhhaatttt????? i had nnooooo idea that it was satire!

I use a hose, and a bucket to wash, everytime. i dont know what i would do if i lived in germany and couldnt wash my car in my driveway!
Well first I wasn't talking to you. And given the average Mustang forum demographic, I wouldn't be surprised to find people on here who read something like that and take it the wrong way.

What made me wonder was the mention of "illegitimate children". It sounded like more of a belief than a joke.

Oh well, carry on.

2012 Mustang GT Premium (Manual), Sterling Gray, Brembo Package, 3.73 gears, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, HIDs, backup camera, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts, UMI panhard bar, Borla S-Type catbacks, MGW shifter, Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber driveshaft, RTR wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Roush front fascia, DG Custom hidden fog billet grille, Roush lower billet grille, Roush front and side splitters, DG Custom quarter window louvers, GT500 rear diffuser

Apprentice

I'm a Dri Wash only guy. Used it on my LeBaron convertible for 13 years, and had people asking me where I got the car painted all the way up to three weeks ago.

I do not sell the product, but really believe in it.

2012 Base Mustang Convertible
2009 Grand Marquis
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I hand wash as often as weather permits to keep her sharp!

Twice a year I claybar, and wax -

I wax before the hard summer begins, and before the hard winter begins.

I use Meguiar's detail spray in between, for minor touch-ups and dust/pollen removal. I use Meguiar's Carnuba wax.

I love cruising a clean vehicle, and hate when it gets dirty.

Matt
2011 Mustang GT
Race Red
3.55's, Security, Comfort, 401A, MT-82
Mods:GT500 Axlebacks, Side Window Louvres, and Tinted Windows, Ford Racing M-FR3-MGTAA Adjustable Suspension, BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, BMR Control Arm Relocation, CDC Chin Spoiler
PONY Member

For washing
2 bucket grit guard method with optimum car wash micro fiber mitt.
Rinse with a DI water filter to avoid water spots.
Dry with an ECHO blower.

In the winter if it is below zero around here I always have to pull out in the driveway to hose dirt off the car with hot water and then pull into the garage within 2 min before the water freezes. (of course this is when its not any wind. If there is wind, it takes 1/2 hour before you can do the 2 bucket wash in the garage because you have to wait for the ice to thaw after rinsing)

Two Bucket wash in the garage with the door closed. Pull back out to rinse off with hot water and pull back into the garage before it freezes again and then blow dry.
Gota love winter lol.

2012 GT Grabber Blue Vert, 6MT
PONY Member

I also do the 2 bucket method, starting on the roof of the car and working my way down to the wheels. I do the rocker panel/plastic side skirts right before the wheels. Though I do realize that most people recommend starting with the wheels.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billccm View Post
I'm a Dri Wash only guy. Used it on my LeBaron convertible for 13 years, and had people asking me where I got the car painted all the way up to three weeks ago.

I do not sell the product, but really believe in it.
Does it work for winter? Does it scratch?

2012 Black MCA, HID package, Steeda splitter, Airaid cold air intake, AM Hood struts, FRPP Sport axle back, Soon : matching lower grille, MMD tailight surrounds and tint.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Takes me about 3 hours to "get it done right", maybe I should do a time lapse film of it!!!!!! Hell it probably take me 2 hours to type out all the steps, the order they need to be done in, and why they need to be done in that order.... IMO, Washing/waxing/detailing correctly is a science, it's all 1's and 0's, there are very few GREY areas.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94 View Post
I also do the 2 bucket method, starting on the roof of the car and working my way down to the wheels. I do the rocker panel/plastic side skirts right before the wheels. Though I do realize that most people recommend starting with the wheels.

This is what I do. But I don't know about starting with the wheels.

Seems backwards to wash the dirtiest part of the car first.
PONY Member

With children's tears

2011 Black Mustang GT 5.0 Brick-Red
6SP Manual | 3.73 Gears | HIDs | Sec & Anti-Theft Pkg | Brembo GT Brake Pkg | Comfort Package | Shaker 1000 |
Mods:

2011 CS/GT Front Valance, 2011 GT500 Rear Diffuser, 2011 SVT GT500 Mufflers, 2011 Roush Side Skirts, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, Boss 302 Front Splitter, Speed Dawg custom shift-knob, Black Pony Emblem, 50% fog-light tint, Blacked Out Side Marks Front and Rear, 35% All-around Tint & Heon H10 fog-light bulbs
PONY Member

I tried to take mine once to an automatic car wash, out of desperation because it was really dirty and it was cold out. My LCA relocation brackets bottomed out trying to get on the track. That was that. LOL.

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
Apprentice

Dri Wash does not freeze, so it will work for winter. If used as directed with 100% cotton towels to apply and microfiber to buff, there are no scratches. FYI it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find 100% cotton towels-Pep Boys is the last place I have found that sells them.

2012 Base Mustang Convertible
2009 Grand Marquis
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS View Post
Washing the car is also an opportunity to inspect the PAINT. Do it yerself at least twice a month. Ideally once a week.

And a car as beautiful as this is a joy to wash. Make sure you also remove brake dust form the RIMS...

One of the easiest ways to demonstrate you are an automotive enthusiest and seperate yourself from the general automobile public is to never allow Brake Dust build up....It detracts from the total package...

See that--She really cares.

If its good enough for my Mustang,its good enough for me as well....

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Hand wash. Even at a do-it-yourself car wash stall. I'll use the spray soap to get it all sudsy then wash it by hand before rinsing it. That's when I'm limitied on time.

Usually though, I'll just make a Saturday afternoon of it at home and do it all by hand.

Either way, scrub brushes and spinning chamois wheels don't touch my car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page