Need help on how to fix interior rust - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Need help on how to fix interior rust

I removed the carpet to replace it this weekend. Unfortunately I found a rusty surprise on the passenger side floorpan. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to determine if I should replace the whole pan or not. If I dont replace the pan how is the best way to fix. I plan on doing all repairs myself. Complicating matters more is the welded-in roll cage. Check out the picture to see what Im talking about.
Thanks ahead of time for the advice.
-Kenny

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	4665   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	4666   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	4667  

Last edited by mccoigk; 06-28-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004

If its just rusted enough to flake off the paint and not pitted to deep you can go to your local autozone if you have one and get a small bottle of rust converter, can't think of the name off the top of my head, but its in a small white bottle, 6 or 8 ozs. I think and its in the paint section. you clean the rusty area the best you can and then brush this stuff on and it will kill the rust and convert it to a black primer. I use it all the time and its some really good stuff. its only 3 bucks and its a life saver sometimes. But if its pitted real bad to the point of almost eating through, I'd go ahead and put in a new pan. Hope this helps

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Well looking underneath the car I see no sign of rust eating through. I can smack on the bottom (or top) of the floor pan in both the rusted area and any non rusted area and the sounds I hear are the same. So I am pretty sure its only on the surface of the pan. The only area I am unsure about is the area under the roll cage mount. I have no way of knowing how bad it is under there.
Maybe I will have to fire up a torch and remove the welds?? Then I should be able to tell for sure....

Has anyone here every replaced a floor pan? Is it very difficult??

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004
5.0L Member

It don't look to bad .
Try some Por15 on it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page