Why does this rear spoiler hold water? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Why does this rear spoiler hold water?

My car is a garage queen. I left it out in the rain once to see if it has any leaks into the inside of the car. Thankfully, it didn't. However a different problem surfaced. The rear spoiler kept leaking water down the back outside of the trunk for a week!!! Someone else took their spoiler off after it had rained and actually emptied almost 3 gallons of water out of it!!!! They are removing it, but I would like to keep it. Has anyone had a similar experience and found a cure?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004
Classic Member
S197 Member

i have a 02 gt an i dont have that problem??

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Dave 02 GT: Next time you're near the car could you check to see if you can notice a gasket of some kind between the spoiler and the trunk lid. I looked at mine and there is no gasket showing between these 2 parts. I kind of think that they left off some gaskets at the factory.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004
PONY Member
4.6L Member

3 gallons that's a lot of water.

Current Vehicle: 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra: Born 03/03/2004 #2882 of 3768
Previous Vehicles: 2002 Mustang GT & 1998 Mustang GT
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004

Is this a stock spoiler? A few pictures would help. The stock spoiler is made up of two pre-formed pieces of plastic sandwiched together, probably with some type of adhesive. The seam, however, should be on the bottom. The fact that there's no gasket between the spoiler and trunk lid is irrelevant. If this is an aftermarket spoiler, then the seam may be facing up, which would allow water to get inside the cavity in between the two halves.

Here's an idea...take the spoiler off. put some plumbers putty around the holes where the bolts are, and submerge the thing in a swimming pool. Keep it in the same position as it would be on the car (right side up) while it's under the water. Look for bubbles.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

TorchRedGT02: I thought 3 gallons was a lot, but that what the other guy said.
newstangownr: I don't understand what you're saying without looking at the car. I'll check it out tommorrow. I'll probably have to take it off anyway in order to determine whats wrong. I was wondering if when the spoiler was hot and it rained would it cool down enough to draw the rain into the hollow interior? I guess in a worst case scenario I would have to go to the dealer(cringe).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004
4.6L Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk500
My car is a garage queen. I left it out in the rain once to see if it has any leaks into the inside of the car. Thankfully, it didn't. However a different problem surfaced. The rear spoiler kept leaking water down the back outside of the trunk for a week!!! Someone else took their spoiler off after it had rained and actually emptied almost 3 gallons of water out of it!!!! They are removing it, but I would like to keep it. Has anyone had a similar experience and found a cure?
I have the same problem! After i wash the car, I have to open and close the trunk several times to get the water out. 3 gallons is about right!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Wow, that is a lot of water.
Maybe I should rethink about changing my spoiler.......
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004
4.6L Member

so, did you get it fixed? if so, what was the solution? what year is your car?
2.3L Member
4.6L Member

Here's what I do...

After washing the car(s) I dry them off using a leaf-blower. It will get all that water out from under the spoiler as well as all the other nooks and crannies. Not only that - you can dry the car in 10-minutes and you don't even have to touch it. Don't forget ear protection!
4.6L Member

I havent messed with it. The car doesnt come out much to get dirty, so washing isnt a big concern. If it was, im sure I could make a gasket. When I do wash it, I leave the trunk up while it dries.
GT Member
4.6L Member

hk500 what year stang do you have? is it a stock spoiler? are you saying the inside of the spoiler holds water? if you are then you better fix it before it gets too cold ( if you are in that type of weather) the water will freeze and crack the spolier wide open!

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk500
Dave 02 GT: Next time you're near the car could you check to see if you can notice a gasket of some kind between the spoiler and the trunk lid. I looked at mine and there is no gasket showing between these 2 parts. I kind of think that they left off some gaskets at the factory.
According to Ford Service at my local dealer, the '00 does not come stock with a gasket in this location.

I asked them this question, because I had to remove our stock spoiler for a different reason. The '00 was not full of water, but there was a substantial accumulation of dirt collected beneath the spoiler (YUCK!); which was a real pain to remove.

I've been suggested to use silicon to seal the bolt holes, but I am leary of what may happen if I need to take the spoiler off again.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to wayne94mustang
silicon is the way to go,all spoilers iv seen are solid and cant fill with anything,but i do get some water coming out from mine a day after washing its just traped under it

94 gt aode baumannator,pi stallion 3000 stall,transgo,mega bite jrs,3.90 gears,31 spine moser axles,comp exteme,1.7 roller rockers,190 pump,mac cold air,ford 1 5/8 unequals, off road h,flowmaster 2 chamber with stainless tails,msd box,PIH(a9p computer ajustable fan controler),q1a k-member,kenny brown frame ties,driveshaft loop,air pump eliminator kit,bbk 70mm tb,pro-m bullit meter,24#injecters,ported heads&intake,and all the little bolt ons.

i dont have a 02 gt or whatever spoiler problem this is on i have a 91gt and it has a raise spoiler unlike my 92lx that has that one bolted into the hatch. But this is just advice. If you can unbolt your spoiler from the trunk take it off. Where the two sides of the spoiler bolts down im sure ive seen one of these and there is a space in between the trunk and the spoler say on like my 91 gt. Well say if the spoiler its self is holding 3 gallons of water that alot. what i would do is take it off unbolt it turn it over right next to the piece that bolts down to the trunk say its like 2 inches to the spoiler. Take a drill bite and real close to the piece that separates the spoiler from the trunk drill a real small hole with a small bit, that might helpt he spoiler drain out figure bigger the hole the faster it will drain. Just a word of advice might work. But i would drill it to inner most part so you cant see it your not gonna see it really unless you look up under the spoiler if you think about it. I had a problem with a headlight in my GT like this when it would rain i guess rain or moisuture would get in the headlight i solved the problem by taking the headlight out and drilling a couple small holes in it. Never filled with water any more after that. hope this info helps you out. If not keep the 3 gallons of water in the spoiler. Maybe it will help weight the rear of the car down to get better traction, so go weigh 3 gallons see what the weight is, if its 25 pounds find something in the car that weights 25 pounds like sound deadning stuff throw that out so your not gaining a extra 25 pounds in water and it evens it out :tongue :tongue :kooky: good luck lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in