Porter cable DA noob, please help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Porter cable DA noob, please help

I will be getting the PC 7424XP and I am completely overwhelmed by product and accessory choices. This will primarily be used on my ingot silver 2011 and my wife's new TSX which is a darker shade of silver. I understand from my reading 5.5" pads are the way to go. My main questions are:

It seems there are 2 backing plates available, a black one and a "flex" yellow one. What is the difference, if any?

which foam pads to get as far as thickness (7/8", 1.5") and color (texture) ?

How do you approach smaller areas such as the panels around our taillights?

Are bonnets nededed? Are they just for removal of LSP?

what polishes are best for new cars? I need nothing more then a very light cut. There are barely any imperfections other than some swirls on the acura. I am thinking poorboys world pro or meguiars 105. I also already have some meguiars #9.

Are the machines good for wax application or is hand application better? And if so, liquid or paste?

Sorry so many questions, but...

Thanks!

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
I will be getting the PC 7424XP and I am completely overwhelmed by product and accessory choices. This will primarily be used on my ingot silver 2011 and my wife's new TSX which is a darker shade of silver. I understand from my reading 5.5" pads are the way to go. My main questions are:

It seems there are 2 backing plates available, a black one and a "flex" yellow one. What is the difference, if any?

The black and yellow plates should be virtually the same....I'm partial to lake country backing plates and pads. Just be sure and buy a plate that's an inch smaller than your pads. That way if you do slip off of a panel, you won't be cursing because the spinning plate dug into your paint.

which foam pads to get as far as thickness (7/8", 1.5") and color (texture) ?

The better corrugated pads are going to be 1"-1.5" depending on brand. Color coded pad cut ratings will vary per manufacturer.

How do you approach smaller areas such as the panels around our taillights?

The smaller areas really need to be approached by hand. From my experience, if you try to push the pad in to reach such areas, you just end up pushing product in between body gaps, or between the lights and body.

Are bonnets nededed? Are they just for removal of LSP?

I've never removed LSP with the machine, so i can't say. A lambswool bonnet is worth a shot.

what polishes are best for new cars? I need nothing more then a very light cut. There are barely any imperfections other than some swirls on the acura. I am thinking poorboys world pro or meguiars 105. I also already have some meguiars #9.

Since your new to the PC, though the learning curve is pretty quick, I would be looking for mild swirl removers/polishes.....in your case a comprehensive polish/glaze might be all you need @ this point. I'm partial to wolfgang stuff. I'd get on autogeek.com........read read watch watch. That will mitigate much of the learning curve, and then pick products that advertise long working times.

Are the machines good for wax application or is hand application better? And if so, liquid or paste?

Machine application of any product whether it be corrective or LSP is going to spread/work the product far better than any human can accomplish.
Sorry so many questions, but...

Thanks!
Clay the car first before you start........you'd be surprised what clay pulls out of a new car's paint.. It's the least time consuming thing I do to paintwork, but it really shows when you're finished. Tip-keep your pads slightly damp with a periodic mist of any quick detailer.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7 MT82
Airaid CAI, Flowmaster A-back, BBK ceramic shorties, black enkei raijin 18x8.5, Steeda ultralites/pro action dampers, whiteline PHB & brace
RJW Aggressor matte black stripes, GT bumper/CS valance/Saleen grille, AM black shift knob

It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman. ~Alexandre Dumas
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviedon View Post
Clay the car first before you start........you'd be surprised what clay pulls out of a new car's paint.. It's the least time consuming thing I do to paintwork, but it really shows when you're finished. Tip-keep your pads slightly damp with a periodic mist of any quick detailer.
Thanks for your time and knowledge. I've clayed the car 3x with great results, most recently 3 weeks ago but looks like I will be doing it again very soon, at least a quick pass

I think I am going to get LC white , black and blue pads. I was going to use 5.5" pads with a 5" backing plate and 4" pads with 3.5" BP. is that cutting it too close? A lot of what I've read recommend 5.5" max size to maintain DA rotations / orbit

As for product I am looking to start with meguiars ultimate polish. For LSP Ive done well with hand application of meguiars and collinite, so why mess with a good thing?. I have no serious defects so I don't think I need anything more aggressive than the ultimate polish or perhaps M205

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012
PONY Member

1/2" clearance should be fine.....as long as there is some overlap. Anything bigger than the 5.5" and the machine gets hard to control IMO. Unless you're rehabilitating a neglected finish the white pad is all you'll need for slight correction. The black and blue being no cut pads are good for polish and LSP.

On the meguiars ultimate polish......it's a good product, has a long working time, removal is a breeze. Having said that......IMO it's not what I would call a polish. It behaved more like a finishing glaze when I used it.

As far as hand application, I find there is something therapeutic about doing the LSP all by hand. But when I got my PC that went out the door. The machine is going to outperform your body every time in getting an evenly distributed thin layer applied. The results will show and removal will be far easier.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7 MT82
Airaid CAI, Flowmaster A-back, BBK ceramic shorties, black enkei raijin 18x8.5, Steeda ultralites/pro action dampers, whiteline PHB & brace
RJW Aggressor matte black stripes, GT bumper/CS valance/Saleen grille, AM black shift knob

It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman. ~Alexandre Dumas
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012
GT Member

I have to get one of these machines. Polishing was a brutal experience by hand. The sealant stage was a breeze in comparison.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012
Apprentice

Does anyone know if there's much of a difference between Porter Cable's and Meguiar's DA polishers?

2013 Black Mustang GT Premium | Cashmere Trim | Electronics Package with Navigation | Comfort Package | 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page