Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Touch up paint...

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  lcurle 
#1 ·
I am planning on doing some touch up paint on my car in a few places. The first place is on the rear spoiler where there is a 3 in. long and 1/8 of an inch wide scrape that barely got down to the metal.

For this my plan was:

1. brush on some primer, dry
2. brush on paint, dry
3. sand ???? (what grit would be best)
4. brush on clearcoat

It is so small I cannot see using bondo.

The next place I need to paint is on the back bumper the last owner tried to paint in the mustang letters black but it they did a horrible job. To paint those letters back to my factory yellow I plan to:

1. sand off the black (what grit would I use?)
2. spray on primer
3. spray on paint
4. spray on clearcoat

My question is do those steps look good? I am not very sure about when to sand and what grits to use. Also, when using the touch up spray, should I use tape to mark off everything but the area I want to paint ( I heard this can create bumps in the paint ? Or, do I leave about an inch of room around the area I sanded and mark the rest off?

THANK YOU :):eyepoppin:)

See less See more
#2 ·
I went and got some duplicolor automotive touch up clear coat but couldn't find the chrome yellow color that I needed at ford, pepboys, napa, or advanced auto. I will have to located some.

As for the steps, I did not buy a primer since duplicolor said it is only for metal parts.

#3 ·
I learned duplicolor does not make chrome yellow in a spray so I have located a 1/2oz bottle/brush. I will pick it up tomarrow.

For the letters I am going to only paint around the edges over the black that is going to show w/ the decals put on.

My question is do I have to sand any or put on a clear coat?

THANKS

#4 ·
you may want to look at getting some oil based modeling paint some people use to paint models. The steps are, sand-prime-sand-paint-wet sand-paint-clear coat. The grit needs to increase as you go through the steps, the last wet sand step should be at least 1000 grit, and soak the sand paper in water for at least 30 minutes before wet sanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.