A pillar replacment on a 1982 with a 1981 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006 Thread Starter

A pillar replacment on a 1982 with a 1981

HI

OK..this is my first post on this site sooo here it goes

About a month ago sadly my stang found its way under the back of a high sitting tractor trailer...long story lol

The driver side A pillar is extremely mangled and crimped way beyond straitening but the roof did not get bent or twisted .

Well I am almost done rebuilding the front end of a 82 notch back.
I have a few near gutted hatch back stangs at my disposal 1979's.
I have to replace the driver side A pillar I an going to cut one out of one of the 81 hatch backs.

....my question is will it fit
I am pretty good at cutting welding and fabricating and have a shop at my disposal.

I already have a new windshield ready to go

I already have angle steel welded in place to keep everything in line when I remove the a pillar.

Is this possible?...I have seen people chop and lower the tops of cars so I don't see why this is quote (impossible) as i have been told....
everyone I have talked to seems to think I'm:kooky:crazy...I have put to much money/work/hours into this car to just give up and part it out.

Can someone let me know if the drivers side A-pillar off the 81 hatch back will fit a 1982 notch back and if so some tips on how to go about doing this.

thanks for any help
:laughlitt ~mike~:laughlitt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006

Post up some pictures it happens in bodyshops all the time. You can't just cut a pillar and weld around the perimiter due to the fact that there is several inner and outter parts to an a pillar. It needs to be cut in seperate ways so you can weld the inner and outter parts of the pillar. I can help guide you through this. The only problem is that you should really have the pillar pulled on a frame rack. Everything moves when you get a good hit like that and you need to pull the pillar back to where it belongs BEFORE you cut it off for replacement.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006

well me in my opinion if one side is mangled and the other one isnt. and you cut one out of a 82 to put in your 81 just measure it on the passenger side. Then make sure when you cut off the 82 you cut it the same, you figure one side will be the same as the other. If it dont fit make it fit just make sure you measure twice and cut once. cut more off the 82 that your gonna use in the 81 so that way you have extra to work with. If your good at welding and fabricating i dont see why this would be hard for you. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page