Paint removal blues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
V6 Member

Question Paint removal blues

I've got a 66 FB that had a blue and white pony interior that someone repainted red. I'd like to return it to the original color. What can I use to remove the paint from the interior plastic pieces without damaging the plastic? The paint is pealing so repainting over it isn't really an option. New to this so any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Mike

1966 Fastback
1966 Coupe
1998 GT

"Government is not the answer to our problems, government is the problem."

Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

I think you should talk to someone that knows how to restore interiors, wont be wise to use tough chemicals to remove the red coat, and once removed most probably the original color will need retouching. Might not even be worth the effort.

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006

Try a little laquer thinner on a small spot. Like an edge. PPG used to suggest this for prepping plastics before dying them. The thinner is stong and will "soften" the plastic. That was necessary to adheire the new paint to the plastic. It should come off with thinner but be careful as it may react differently to certain plastics. TEETO.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I have a friend that used Pine Sol to remove old paint from a car model. He left it in too long and it ended up damaging the plastic iirc, but it did aid in the paint removal process. I would venture a guess if used in moderate amounts, not leaving the parts submersed in the solution for an extended period of time (24+ hours undiluted like he did) might do the trick.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/dixie_longbocker - 2003 GT - stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page