Zaino, no good for black? and other ?'s - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

Zaino, no good for black? and other ?'s

I've really been studying up on the detailing products to prepare for spring (if it ever comes) washing/waxing. It seems that Zaino is a real cult favorite among the mustang owners. However, I have read a few posts on other forums that suggest Zaino doesnt do as good of a job on black or red paint. Can anyone confirm or deny this (with pics if possible)?

Also, a lot of people seem to mention Lexol for leather care. I tried to find it but didn't see it at Checker or Autozone. Where should I look to find Lexol? Is it any cheaper/better than the Meguiar's gold leather conditioner (whatever it is called) that I did buy instead? I really like the scent of the Meguiar's (and so does my girlfriend, whose opinion REALLY matters). How does the Lexol smell in comparison?

Finally, any way to reduce the amount of creasing created in the leather seats when you sit in them? Is this aleviated by proper conditioning? I've never had leather in a car, so forgive me if this is dumb question.

Thanks, and sorry for the length.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006

Hotwad02GT: Zaino has an excellent reputation, BUT: it requires application by the book! The results are awesome on virtually any color.

I detail cars as a paid hobby and here is a typical scenario for a swirl free car (you can see some of my results in Meguiars Online Forum gallery under Totoland Mach)

1. Wash with good quality car wash soap: Meguiars NXT or Adams (I prefer Adams)
2. Clay with car wash as a lube (some folks use detail spray as a lube but I don't)
3. If the car has swirls or spider scratches, Meguiars #83 or Klasse AIO with a foam polishing pad on a Porter-Cable dual action machine. This can take from 1-3 hours depending upon severity of the finish.
4. Apply a top coat of: Meguiars NXT or Wolfgang Sealant (great for dark cars) or Meguiars #21 Sealant (only available in bulk sizes)
5. If you are prepping for a car show, I apply Souveran paste as a final coat prior to the show...adds depth and the paint looks very wet, but doesn't last too long.
6. I use a good quality detail spray: Wolfgang has one but my favorite is Adams Detail spray...it's one of the best on the market.

Hope that helps.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006

I just tried Zaino out last weekend, and I do have to say that it is awesome! I had previously used carnauba wax on my Black GT, and the Zaino really brought out a mirror polish. It has of course rained the entire week since I did it, but the car still looks clean after Zainoing. I made the switch after reading several people talking about how good it was on Black cars. I will try to get some "just wax" and "Zaino" pics up once I can get a clear day to take some pictures.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006
PONY Member

Most people I heard from said Zaino is a MUST for black cars. My Zaino kit arrived yesterday, but it may be a while before weather permits a wash and polish. The Z5 is for swirl marks ( I think ) and I'm really hoping it works. They also have a product called "fusion" for swirl marks, but I missed it when I was placing my order, I just didn't see it on the products page I guess. Hopefully the kit I ordered will have everything I need. The Z8 was also just recommended to me, but I had already recieved my order before I heard it was so good. Anyway- I'll try what Zaino I have, and order the other products if needed in the future. I'll let you know how well it works-or doesn't.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006
PONY Member

My car is finished! Zaino did an amazing job! I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and it is VERY humid here. Even using the ZFX it took a while for my layers of Z5 to dry. The next day the humidity was less and the Z2 dried quickly. Anyway! I washed the car w/dawn and used the claybar as instructed followed by a wash with Zaino carwash. I used towels bought at Bed Bath And Beyond and washed and dried them as instructed. I even cut off the edges! I put on Z5 with ZFX,Z6,Z5 w/ZFX,Z6,Z5 w/ ZFX,Z6,Z2 with ZFX, Z6, Z2 w/ZFX and Z6. My car looks so much better. I can still see some of the scratches that were really bad, but they are much improved. Swirl marks are pretty much gone. The orange peel is still there in all of it's sorry factory paint job glory, but the car does shine! I also used the tire shine,leather cleaner and leather conditioner from Zaino. I really like the leather products. I like tires to really shine and look wet and Zaino is more understated,but I still think it is OK. I put some on everything black under the hood as well. It was overcast yesterday, so no pics. We also did a quick Zaino job on our 97 F150. Dawn,claybar,wash,dry,Z2and Z6. That little bit of effort made a huge difference on the truck. BTW the F150 is dark toreador red (maroon).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006
PONY Member

How 'bout that Zaino?!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nbk13nw
Re: Zaino, no good for black? and other ?'s

I love the Zaino on black. +1 for Zaino!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZainoShot.jpg
Views:	3573
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	16127  

2005 GT, Flowmaster, SCT, JLT CAI, Eibach, Baer, FRPP Struts / Dampers, FRPP Deletes, FRPP 4.10's, TA Girdle, BBK UDP's, J&M Upper Link/Lower Control Arms, FRPP GT 500 Front Control Arms, Hurst short throw, Foose / BFG FDW's
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006
Rookie

Cool Re: Zaino, no good for black? and other ?'s

*Beautiful Car*:thumbsup . I like Black Cars.When cleaned up right....It's hard to beat.The Best w/your 'Stang.
Kind Regards,
*[Tinkker]*
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MustangGT25*
*Beautiful Car*:thumbsup . I like Black Cars.When cleaned up right....It's hard to beat.The Best w/your 'Stang.
Kind Regards,
*[Tinkker]*
Thanks! I washed her last week and it was soooo much easier after the Zaino! She looked great after just a Zaino carwash and towel dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page