Looking for tips on Interior Paint Detailing? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Interior Paint Detailing

Ok, this question is for my friend (who should be signing up soon). Anyway, i need to know if anyone out there has any tips for some fine painting of like the "SRS" and "Mustang" lettering on the interior of a 2000 Mustang GT. He has that dark charcoal with light grey interior and he wants to paint the SRS and the Mustang lettering on the passenger side airbag black, and he also wants to paint the mustang pony on the driver side airbag black as well. Well, it's not really black, we bought some paint that matches the "blacK" on the interior of the car (by the way, for those of you looking for the paint to match that dark charcaol interior, we went to AutoZone and picked up a couple cans of Dupli-Color paint and the color we used was called Phantom Grey, it matches great). So ya, does anyone have some tips for this painting job? It's harder than h*ll to paint it freehand, and almost impossible to mask it off. So please, help, i don't want him asking me to paint it free hand for him. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Forgot to add this, if painting does not work out, we make just go to my shop and have the lettering and pony cut out in the same color of vinyl. If anyone can give me a link or something for some like factory diagrams of the lettering and pony so that i can have the plotter cut out the right sized, proportioned, etc. cut outs and we'll just lay 'em over the lettering, should look nice that way as well.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

This is a trick i used once for painting some Mercedes Benz wheels.

I used some Play-Doh or soft clay to "mask" the emblem and not paint the rest.

Wet the PD until is easy to work and spread over the lettering, with your finger unmask the portion to be painted. Let it dry and mask the rest with tape and newspaper.

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Hahaha, funny, we thought about doing that but figured that the paint would seep under the clay too easily and then it would look worse than doing it free hand. Wouldn't the clay make the surface a bit dirty though? and if you tried cleaning it, it'd get the clay wet again and you would be having to reform it and it would just by a continuous "vicous cycle" (as Fat ******* says).
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002
Ron
PONY Member
Classic Member
V6 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Ron
All I can say is, my wife painted them free hand on her 95.

Ron Arrigoni

1965 Mustang Convertible - Stolen
1995 Supercharged Mustang V6 - Sold
2002 Explorer Sport Trac - ex wife got in the divorce
2008 Shelby GT, Supercharged
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002
V6 Member

I painted mine freehanded also.Just took my time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-106f.jpg
Views:	24815
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	582  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003

98 blue oval. did you paint the piece around the radio, area? or did you buy that piece pre made? im looking to paint mine in my 89 mustang gt. if you did yaint it, what kind of paint did you use?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003
V6 Member

painted it myself...use the touch up spray cans that is avail. at about all parts stores..used the primer, paint and clear coat.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003

check out your local hobby shop ,they sell a product called 'liquid mask'
you paint it over the whole emblem or whatever, then let it dry.trim out the area you want to paint ,paint and let dry then peel off the rest of the mask its some kind of latex....works great
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stangmaster66
check out your local hobby shop ,they sell a product called 'liquid mask'
you paint it over the whole emblem or whatever, then let it dry.trim out the area you want to paint ,paint and let dry then peel off the rest of the mask its some kind of latex....works great
Listen to this guy, he's right.

I use the same stuff for my Radio Control car bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blueoval
I painted mine freehanded also.Just took my time.
Hey, your interior looks great. I was hoping to match my interior and my exterior factory blue. How in the world do I find paint that will work on the interior vinyls and plastics and match or get really close to the outside of my car?
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownRacer
Hey, your interior looks great. I was hoping to match my interior and my exterior factory blue. How in the world do I find paint that will work on the interior vinyls and plastics and match or get really close to the outside of my car?
The paint i used you can pick up at about any parts store.I used the Dupli-Color touch up spray cans.Used the primer,paint and clear..Main thing is have the parts clean before painting.Your local parts store should have a assortment of colors to choose from.The closest thing i found to my car which is Bright Atlantic Blue was actually a GM color.

Was the paint you picked out specifically made for interior vinyl applications or was it an exteroior touch-up paint that with primer and clear coat works exactly the same?
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownRacer
Was the paint you picked out specifically made for interior vinyl applications or was it an exteroior touch-up paint that with primer and clear coat works exactly the same?
It was extererior touch-up paint..comes in the small cans(maybe 12 oz's?).Got the primer,paint and clear all made by dupli color..All the int parts like gauge bezel,radio bezel and the parts around the door handles are all plastic.Just make sure everything is good and clean before you paint it and it will turn out good and with a shine!!.And on the dash and steering wheel where it says Mustang and SRS.I just used the paint by itself..Just took a model car paintbrush and cut the brush to a fine point with scissors,sprayed a little paint in the cap from the can and painted away..I think it has been done a total of about 5 yrs now.Only place that really shows wear,is where you grab to close the door.As i used to do mechanic ,so it has took its toll on it there.

Thanks a lot, I've driving myself crazy looking for the perfect interior paint, now I should have no prob. Thanks, again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page