Getting rid of curb rash - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Getting rid of curb rash

I just bought a used set of 17" alloy wheels for my V6 '97 convertible, they were the wheels on the GT, 10-spoke design. They're in pretty good condition except for some curb rash around the rims, and I want to fix these myself. Can I just sand or file the rough areas smooth? If sanding isn't a good idea, what other technique will work to get rid of the rough areas? Do I need to coat these areas with something once they have been smothed out? Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Rash

Alloy wheels that are scratched or scraped can be smoothed out with sandpaper (start with 300 and work your way up to 1200 grit), then polish them with a good metal polish (they all work pretty well, though there's always the fans of Mothers, which I feel is overpriced). You CAN just stop there, clean and wax the wheel, and voila. Since I believe these wheels had a clear coat of sealant from the factory, you could scuff them with a fine scotch pad and spray them (I believe Duplicolor makes a good product). Clean them THOROUGHLY first, and tack them dust-free, then lay out a good area that has ventilation and will shield you from wind, then follow the directions on the can.

If you're not a good painter, stick with the wax and forego the clear coat.

Wheels that are dented can also be repaired, but it usually costs about the same as a new wheel! I recommend you just keep looking for a used wheel in good shape rather than pay somebody $130 to fix a small dent in the rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97NOTOP
I just bought a used set of 17" alloy wheels for my V6 '97 convertible, they were the wheels on the GT, 10-spoke design. They're in pretty good condition except for some curb rash around the rims, and I want to fix these myself. Can I just sand or file the rough areas smooth? If sanding isn't a good idea, what other technique will work to get rid of the rough areas? Do I need to coat these areas with something once they have been smothed out? Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006
4.6L Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page