2002 Mustang GT Fresh Paint. How Long For Clay/Wax? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

2002 Mustang GT Fresh Paint. How Long For Clay/Wax?

I just had my rear bumper cover and rear quarters repainted on my 02 GT. How long should I wait for wash/clay/wax? Some say a month, others say 6 weeks. Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007
5.0L Member

I would wait about a month and a half... the old owner of my 88 gt had just got the new paint job and decided to wash and wax it along with a buffer machine about a week later... now I have hidden swirl marks all over the hood. Go to your nearest auto paint shop and ask. They would have the best idea for what kind of paint job you have.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007
GT Member
Classic Member

orange is correct but I have some stuff, that you can use AFTER your painter tells you the answer.....

NO BUFFER!!!!!
feel free to email me.

"After all ......looks ARE important"

1967 Diamond Blue Convertible all original survivor
bout to go through reconditioning!!! yea!
1971 Mach I: SOLD!!! now the proud owner of a 68 Sport Satellite

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
My shop guy tells me to wait at least 90 days for claybar or aggressive polish. It may be possilbe, the time may vary from painter to painter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007
V6 Member

depends on how hot it is where you live. most paint cures in around 4 weeks at about 70-80 degrees during the day. the reason you want to wait to wax is the solvent cant evaporate through the layer of wax and it will cause solvent pockets " air bubbles" in you clear.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007
ModsStang

You shouldn't need clay bar on the freshly painted areas... if your paint is rough to the touch - similar to fine sandpaper, you need it - but freshly painted... I honestly don't think you would need.

I needed it on my 07 because the car sat on the lot for a year with not many washes... the dealer couldn't detail worth a dime... and did such a poor job detailing my ride - I had to do it all over again...

BTW - I used the mothers kit and was super happy with it.

Good luck and I'd be interested to know how you made out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page