• 1 Post By Tominator

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Tire and wheel cleaners on the cheap reviews

Anyone interested? Sort of an ongoing review of the retail products available. I did the Meguiar's all wheel cleaner for a while....then I ran out, and couldn't find it anywhere locally....so I bought a few competitor products to test and try.
I'm sort of doing my own review, but if there's interest, I'll post my findings about the products and the cost, and how they perform.
NOTICE! These are just my personal experiences on my own vehicle with these products. Others may have different results. We're not flipping houses here....just cleaning wheels.

Black means black. If there is any chrome involved, it's not black anymore. Just sayin'

Last edited by JDavisArk; 08-01-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: note
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

LOL...I buy what's on sale or am lucky enough to find a coupon for...now....find a good brush that get's in every nook and cranny AND cleans the inside of the rim!

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominator View Post
LOL...I buy what's on sale or am lucky enough to find a coupon for...now....find a good brush that get's in every nook and cranny AND cleans the inside of the rim!
I've got a lot of secrets from past show days with the 4x4 and the wheels. Let me tell you that it never involved brushing.

Black means black. If there is any chrome involved, it's not black anymore. Just sayin'

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
I've got a lot of secrets from past show days with the 4x4 and the wheels. Let me tell you that it never involved brushing.
I've NEVER not cleaned ANY wheel without a good brush...and none of these pictured brands will do the job without a good brush.....so, if you have a secret....

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
Okay, so what's the secret? I'm ready to "try it at home"!
(I love your sig in case you didn't notice)

It's the car we've always wanted and can now afford, it's NOT a mid-life crisis!!
JLT series 3 CAI, brenspeed 93 octane tune, Pypes "Pype Bomb" muffler deletes *Many fun and attractive interior mods!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Brushes are too harsh IMO for ALL wheels. I know I do not want to brush mine. Matter of fact.......the Mother's foaming does a real good (no touch job). Secrets? Battery drill, tiny paint rollers from Wally World, and a 1/2" drill bit. Put that all together and you'll get a hint. Buffing is where it's at.
I'm looking at the best products spray on...wipe or wash off that actually work as advertised. They are all less than $5 retail. This is for any wheel without damaging specific wheels.

Edmund K likes this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015
PONY Member

Garage
I've tried them all. None work as advertised. I always have to use a rag to wash the dirt and grime off the wheels. I recently threw several brand name wheel cleaners in the trash can. I now use dish washing or laundry detergent. Does anyone actually know of a product that you can spray on your wheels, and rinse them with water?

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Mothers Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner 24oz $5.97

I started off with the Meguiar's all wheel foaming cleaner. It worked pretty good, but like I said...ran out and can't find local now.
The Meguiar's is 24oz just like most of these cleaners. For four tires/wheels.......you can get about two complete uses out of one bottle for the foaming cleaners (which seem to do the best job). Realize the "best job" might not be the most excellent.....but for spray on rinse off.....I am just grading/reviewing these products for what they are.
The Mothers foaming wheel and tire cleaner was fist up and what I showed in the above pics. It actually did a better job than the Meguiar's as seemed to be evident with more brake dust coloration in the product foaming off. It's 24oz and $5.97. Thing is......it's half empty now...so I'll only get two total uses out of the bottle. For price comparison, most of the Meguiar's similar tire/wheel cleaning bottles are on sale for $4.74 at Wally. The Mothers is non-acidic and safe for just about any wheel. Thing is......NOTE- most of these product recommend leaving on to soak 30-45 seconds! This one is 30sec. They also claim a unique spot free rinse with no need to hand dry. As for the pricing, claims on the label, and how it lasts when used according to directions....it lives up to expectations in my opinion. I'd be buying this regularly, but for around $1 less....the Meguiar's does the same other than claim a spot free rinse. The Mothers does better with the spot free rinse ordeal than Meguiar's. Mothers should come out with a refill 64oz at a cheaper oz for oz price IMO....then we'd be good!
It still gets my thumbs up and I will be buying it again.......even over the Meguiar's on sale. I seldom rate anything in stars or numbers. Willing to buy again is good enough.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

I've used them all! Use a 'tire brush'.

Spray on cold wheel. Massage dirt off with tire brush. Rinse thoroughly. Let dry.

Spray on favorite tire 'shine.'

Use paper towels to wipe off excess on wheels and wiping complete wheel in the process.

DONE!

No secret....

No wheel cleaner will remove road grime and break dust without a brush! Ain't happening!
huberoy123 likes this.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Black Magic No Scrub Wheel Cleaner 23oz $4.57

"Safe on all wheel types"
Okay...note to self here.....I do use some Black Magic products for other things.
Out of using this product one time according to directions, I have most of a bottle left. I estimate approximately four total applications compared to the foaming ones I've tried. But IMO it doesn't live up to expectations or the claims.
Directions include "wipe away remaining brake dust and grime" and "allow to set (soak) for 1-2 minutes". For maximum shine towel off any water that remains on the wheel after rinsing.
I used this last night after wife made a 75 mile round trip and I cleaned up the Stang. I walked out this morning and ran my finger over the driver side rear wheel and got a black smudge on my finger. Also noticed water spots. This does not happen with the Meguiar's or the Mothers.
My opinion? If you use this product for your wheels....I think scrubbing would be good....downing the label claim of "no scrub".
Not at all impressed with this one. I had to try it...and yes...I believe one of the claims on the label 'safe on all wheel types'.
Would I purchase again? Nope. If you're local to the Fayetteville, Arkansas area, PM me and I'll give you what remains of it for free.
IMO, Black magic does make some other decent products (IMO) for detailing which I have used in the past, but that doesn't sway me from giving them a total thumbs down on this product no matter how many applications I can get out of one 23oz bottle.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
I've used them all! Use a 'tire brush'.

Spray on cold wheel. Massage dirt off with tire brush. Rinse thoroughly. Let dry.

Spray on favorite tire 'shine.'

Use paper towels to wipe off excess on wheels and wiping complete wheel in the process.

DONE!

No secret....

No wheel cleaner will remove road grime and break dust without a brush! Ain't happening!
Again (or have I mentioned it before)? I'm not using any brush on my wheels. I figure it might damage them. Got a ding here and there just from the lug wrench took a bit of black paint off.
And yeah.......the two foaming cleaners I've tried do a very good job without brushing or wiping with a rag. I don't like water spots.
You ought to come on over some time to see what I'm sayin'
Couple cold ones.......one Mustang guy to the other....and some deep fried catfish. For real.

MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
'm not using any brush on my wheels.
I've got enough wheels in my garage to open up a shop.....and have never even thought I cleaned any wheel unless it was scrubbed with a brush.

The exception is a brushed aluminum wheel with no coating.....Mother's Power Ball...AFTER cleaning the wheel with a brush!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
I've got enough wheels in my garage to open up a shop.....and have never even thought I cleaned any wheel unless it was scrubbed with a brush.

The exception is a brushed aluminum wheel with no coating.....Mother's Power Ball...AFTER cleaning the wheel with a brush!

I'd brush the wheels on my Durango....but a sponge is as far as I'd go with these painted Mustang wheels.
Maybe you'd rather do pizza than catfish?

Rookie

about to try Mothers foaming wheel and tire cleaner. Bought it from Amazon for a cheap price. Seems like it has a lot of good feedback so i ordered one for my ride. will give a review soon.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forder View Post
about to try Mothers foaming wheel and tire cleaner. Bought it from Amazon for a cheap price. Seems like it has a lot of good feedback so i ordered one for my ride. will give a review soon.
Looking forward to your review.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page