2015 body panels not aligned - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to natenyc123
2015 body panels not aligned

The front left panel has massive gap outwards as if it didn't click into place far enough. Seems like panels are just slapped on. My front bumper actually is coming off about 1/2 inch on the left side on the same side the panel is too far out. The back trunk is actually down 1/4 inch well below the main body lines.

This is crazy and I wrote it down as an "I owe you" during my purchase so they have to fix it. Here are some photos of the left side vs. right side. I have to now leave my car for a few weeks while they figure out what to do. So much for $44,000 worth.

Right side is great..left is wacked...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	459793   Click image for larger version

Name:	left.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	459801  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015
BOSS Member

That is just a QA issue...that should have been caught at the factory & by the dealer prior to delivery. When body panels are assembled 9new or in a repair situation), the rear quarters are the 1st thing (part of the unibody) that must be aligned correctly, 2nd are the doors (because they have to fit the rear quarters) and finally the front fenders (as they have to fit the front part of the doors) and of course lastly the hood...and yes, the fenders get adjusted to make that fit as well. Unless there are other issues, the body shop will simply adjust the front fenders and it should be all good to go!

The bumper & trunk lid.....likely adjustable/repairable...although not something that makes you say when you see it, not an unusual situation that customers typically don't (and shouldn't) experience.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by natenyc123 View Post
The front left panel has massive gap outwards as if it didn't click into place far enough. Seems like panels are just slapped on. My front bumper actually is coming off about 1/2 inch on the left side on the same side the panel is too far out. The back trunk is actually down 1/4 inch well below the main body lines.

This is crazy and I wrote it down as an "I owe you" during my purchase so they have to fix it. Here are some photos of the left side vs. right side. I have to now leave my car for a few weeks while they figure out what to do. So much for $44,000 worth.

Right side is great..left is wacked...

Just out of curiosity why did you take delivery of it while not being happy about the condition. Mustangs especially V6's, GT's and now eco boosts are so common if you don't like one the same dealer or close by dealer will have one just like it. Also being a new car you can order one to order just how you want it as if you paid sticker price of 44K and didn't negotiate you could have just ordered the same car. So I am confused on why you picked it up. Those "I owe you's" are good and all, but sometimes can be hard to enforce just the way you want it.

On the subject though Mustangs have always had little flaws like that. It is I guess you could say "normal". I know even high end Z06's are like that as well. Body panels lining up seem to be a back though for car dealers as the only people who really notice them are us car people and well we are all about power numbers it seems like. haha

Good luck on getting it fixed and keep us updated. I would complain about what you pictured as that looks pretty off. As stated above though it should be a pretty quick and easy adjustment for a knowledgable body shop.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I think it's called "Rush to get no where syndrome" and pretty common nowadays, weather it's cars, fridges or whatnot!
The more important question is; how does that get past QUALITY CONTROL? Talk about adding sour juice to your buying experiance.
Hope they will resolve this issue for you,good luck man!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page