Mr. Clean Magic Eraser gets front bumper clean - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser gets front bumper clean

Tired of scrubbing the front bumper to get road grime and bug guts off. I tired the Mr. Clean Magic eraser and the grime and guts came off very easily. I was surprised how simple it got cleaned off. Just thought I'd share this tidbit of info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007
S197 Member

I will have to try that... Thanks for the tip!!

Old 10-09-2007
GT Member

Thanks for the tip!!

I usually just spray the guts down with Windex (yes, Windex) and go over them with a ribbed terrycloth towel. Tears them right off, but it requires a little bit of pressure.

Old 10-09-2007
4.6L Member

be careful, the Mr clean eraser will eat the wax off and if rubber hard can damage the clear coat. I have used these daily for a few years and have rubber the finish off a of more then one coffe table or dinette. I used it just today to get fingernail polish off of a table at work. I manage a RTO store so I have million ways to make things look like new again so I can resell it and make the mighty dollar! lol
Old 10-09-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to speedytang
MR Clean Magic has ONE huge warning. Not To Be Used on Automotive Finish. If I get time I will load pictures from a few cars I repainted the nose and hoods that people tried to remove bugs and road tar. It turns the finish to a dull milky finish. Not sure how many times they used the Magic but it does damage paint and dyed plastic surfaces which I seen first hand also.

Twin Turbo Intercooled(TTi)
Old 10-10-2007
S197 Member

i don't know if you guys have seen it yet, but i was at target in the automotive section and there are now automotive Mr.Clean sponges...don't know if they are the same as the household ones...

i found it intriguing primarily because i use the other ones and know they can dull things if used too much....i wonder if the automotive ones are less abrasive...i find it hard to believe they would market them knowing they will remove the clearcoat now....

i just wonder if they are slightly different....dunno?
Old 10-10-2007
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffingers View Post
i don't know if you guys have seen it yet, but i was at target in the automotive section and there are now automotive Mr.Clean sponges...don't know if they are the same as the household ones...

i found it intriguing primarily because i use the other ones and know they can dull things if used too much....i wonder if the automotive ones are less abrasive...i find it hard to believe they would market them knowing they will remove the clearcoat now....

i just wonder if they are slightly different....dunno?
Probably a little different. Look at the surface and compare the materials.

Polyamide (aka Nylon) coatings on sponges work AWESOME against crap hellbent on sticking to your car. Microfiber is made from this material, and so is the outer netting on some detailing sponges.

It will not scratch your paint/clearcoat.

Old 10-11-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

All automotive stores sell a sponge covered with nylon mesh that's made to remove bugs from the front bumper easily. They've also sold the same thing to scrub pots and pans with for years. I've been using one for the last 20 years and it works great. That Mr. Clean crap will take the paint right off of a wall if you're not careful. I could imagine what its doing to a car bumper. You can also remove bugs easily if you keep a lot of wax on the bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in