Post your waxing tips here - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to A7X1031
Post your waxing tips here

When I waxed my old mustang I used a buffer a bunch of times and after a while it left circular swirls on the hood...Can anyone offer me tips on what kind of towels to use, how to apply it, the motions to use as well. Any waxing knowledge is welcome. Thanks in advance!

-A7X-
~Stang Syndicate Boston~ *2006 Torch Red GT* 10/10/07
Performance: Borla FRPP Stingers w/ True Dual Midpipes, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, JLT CAI, Bama 93 Race Tune, Ford Racing 4.10 Gears, Nitto 555 Extremes.
Visual: Black AVS Tail Light Trim, Honeycomb Tail Light Vinyl, Black Racing stripes, 35% Window Tint, Trunk Blackout Panel, Billet Antenna Delete, Mirror Covers, 17" Konig "Further" Rims, Quarter Window Louvers, 20% Tinted Head Light/Turn Signal, Boss C-Stripes, CS/GT C-Scoops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007
V6 Member
S197 Member

Alrighty, I think I can throw down a few tips.

Don't use a buffer unless you know exactly what your doing. Usually people end up pushing too hard on the buffer, thus creating the swirls :P

Part of my job is to wax exotic cars, so just trust me :P

I do 1 section of the car at a time (ex: front left fender, left door, left back panel) and I just work my way around the car. Go get some TerryCloth towels (which is what i use) that way the towels don't scratch your car. When you do do the circular motions, keep it consistant. I stick to clockwise because I feel that is how the basic car's paint flow is. The circular motions is to get the wax into each and every little thing, where as just going side to side will miss the swirls going up and down, catch my drift?

Keep everything consistant on what you do. Crank some tunes and have someone to keep company

Anyways.. I have found that the products must be consistant as well. Buy some Mothers, Turtle Wax, etc. but make sure it is a name brand (just preference. I prefer Mothers)

Our current wax setup is a 4-step wax. What will help ALOT with those swirls, and should be done before any wax job that you do, is to get a claybar and follow the instructions on that. The claybar is TINY so it will take a while, but there is liquids that you can get that you apply just like wax. Wash your car, pull it in the garage (or some form of shade) and have a blast man. Just know it takes about half a day to a day to do a complete job on detailing a car if your alone and don't know what your doing :P

I wrote this in a rush, bout to go get some dinner and meet up with a couple people, so I will come back and revise anything that I missed or wrote incorrectly, along with the product line that I use (which works wonders)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

The key to a good finish on your car starts with prep, make sure you start with no swirls they must be adressed first. I would wash the car with dawn to get rid of any old wax then clay bar the car then check for swirl marks. If no marks on to your wax or sealant, a good cleaner would help, then your top coats. The key to keeping it this way is to wash use the two bucket method and good wash mitts I use only usa made 100% cotton towels white only when doing my car.There is a great web site at DetailersClub.com has many useful hints on how to wax clean prep and buff a car well worth a look at, these guys know there stuff in any case good luck with your car I myself use Zaino and love it but any car looks good when the right prep is done regardless of what wax you use

06 mustang gt 5 spd manual redfire/Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 # 372 /Tillman 93 tune/450 rwhp 435 rwt/GT 500 fuel system/high flow cats X pipe / chrome bullitt wheels / 10inch nitto 555/ MGW shifter /SLP Loudmouth/ sequential turn signals/J&M lca/ painted agent 47 mirrors and Zanio

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thats some useful info thanks guys. I realize that I was using the buffer tottaly incorrectly. That explains the swirl marks when you look at the hood in the sun. Could I just put the buffer aside since it seems like its doing more harm than good since I don't work it properly? Also the wax I use is Meguires Tech Wax. It lasts a really long time and it has a great shine to it when your done.

-A7X-
Performance: Borla FRPP Stingers w/ True Dual Midpipes, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, JLT CAI, Bama 93 Race Tune, Ford Racing 4.10 Gears, Nitto 555 Extremes.
Visual: Black AVS Tail Light Trim, Honeycomb Tail Light Vinyl, Black Racing stripes, 35% Window Tint, Trunk Blackout Panel, Billet Antenna Delete, Mirror Covers, 17" Konig "Further" Rims, Quarter Window Louvers, 20% Tinted Head Light/Turn Signal, Boss C-Stripes, CS/GT C-Scoops.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Does your car now have swirl marks in it now if so it will take a buffer to remove them If i was you i would take it to a detailer that knows his stuff to have him remove the swirls, not sure of the brand of buffer you are useing or type of pads that info will help but you have to get a feel on how to use this stuff not sure i'd try to learn on the mustang easier to pay someone to get them out

06 mustang gt 5 spd manual redfire/Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 # 372 /Tillman 93 tune/450 rwhp 435 rwt/GT 500 fuel system/high flow cats X pipe / chrome bullitt wheels / 10inch nitto 555/ MGW shifter /SLP Loudmouth/ sequential turn signals/J&M lca/ painted agent 47 mirrors and Zanio
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 redfire GT View Post
Does your car now have swirl marks in it now if so it will take a buffer to remove them If i was you i would take it to a detailer that knows his stuff to have him remove the swirls, not sure of the brand of buffer you are useing or type of pads that info will help but you have to get a feel on how to use this stuff not sure i'd try to learn on the mustang easier to pay someone to get them out
Fortunately I traded in the car with all the swirl marks. I haven't waxed the new one yet. Thats why I made this post I didn't want to make the same mistake twice. Thanks for the tips.

-A7X-
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007
V6 Member
S197 Member

I would just hand-wax the whole thing. What HP is your buffer? (I think it's rated in HP :P) If you have a .5 HP buffer you should be fine. The biggest problem with the buffer is that people tend to push down too hard thinking it's gonna help or work better. Even when you hand wax it, you don't want to push down hard at all. if it takes longer, it takes longer. I worked on an STi wax job for over 4 1/2 hours (mind you, it came out unbelieveable with the gold sparkles in the black paint)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page