Prep work for interior paint job - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Prep work for interior paint job

I want to paint the interior plastic paneling on my 1999 mustang and I was wondering what kind of prep work would be involved so it doesn't chip, smear, fade etc. I am only going to be doing the smooth plastic such as the door panels and the bezel around the speedometer etc. I will be using spray paint and then clear coating it. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007
V6 Member
S197 Member

Just get carbon fiber everything.

and I don't know how to paint it lol

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007
Rookie

clean the parts with paint thinner or mek
clean the paint thinner off after with water and soap
when i did mine i used 2 coats primer let dry between coats 10 to 15 min then apply lite coats of paint
what kind of paint r u going to use walmart has dupli color auto paint looks great deep color shinny then clear coat
post pics when done

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007 Thread Starter
V6 Member

I dont know what kind of paint I'll be using because I'm going to be repainting my car sonic blue and I'll be looking for a color closest to that. But I am very close to walmart so I could take a look.

What did the pieces look like after you used paint thinner. Were they coarse or smooth, black? etc
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I would say use total prep you can get that at walmart also and I would put like 3 or 4 coats of primer on everything and then take like 800 grit sandpaper and make everything smoth then paint it all at the same time with like 2 coats let dry then 2 coats of clear thats how am gona do mine

2002 GT 5speed full bolt on roush body kit with saleen s281 three piece rear wing totone black top red bottom fr500 nitto 555 275/35/18 with brenspeed x3 zex nos 125 shot hp257 tq295 on motor 380hp and 395tq on spray best 1/4 time now 12.770 at 115 with blowin the tires of in 2nd and 3d 1999 gt turbo bild with full suspension in the bild
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007 Thread Starter
V6 Member

So I'm guessing that total prep is some kind of cleaning solution? And your saying I should prime it then sand it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007
5.0L Member

when using spray paint you should let the paint dry for at least two weeks before you spray your clear or it will haze
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007
PONY Member
4.6L Member

yes that way it is all smoth so you dont see all the bumps that are on the plastic parts it will make it look smoth. I dont think you have to wate two weeks to let the paint dry be4 you cc it maybe like a hour or so untill it flaches

2002 GT 5speed full bolt on roush body kit with saleen s281 three piece rear wing totone black top red bottom fr500 nitto 555 275/35/18 with brenspeed x3 zex nos 125 shot hp257 tq295 on motor 380hp and 395tq on spray best 1/4 time now 12.770 at 115 with blowin the tires of in 2nd and 3d 1999 gt turbo bild with full suspension in the bild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page