Ford Mustang Forum banner

HELP, Idiot light "ALT" won't go off

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  waltdavis777 
#1 ·
I have 1965 mustang originally equipped with a 260 engine ,which I assume had a generator. The car has been modified with a 289 and is now equipped with an alternator. The alternator is producing 14.2 volts at the battery but the ALT light won't go off. Any ideas why this is happening ? thanks, walt

#2 ·
check engine to chassis ground at the back of the block. it a large 12-14 gauge wire with 2 ring terminals or if the car is early enough production a flat woven metal strap usually on the passenger side rear to the firewall just to the inside of the heater motor housing. Also the ground from the instrument cluster to the car body, a black wire with two ring terminal going from the cluster need the inboard end to the support arm screw under the dash.

#5 ·
65 mustang wiring question

I have early 1965 mustang ( built in May 1964). The wiring diagram for "ignition , starting and charging" shows a resistance wire going from the ignition switch directly to the coil . Why is this required ? What happens if I use a regular wire here? The wire that was in there had overheated and melted to adjacent wiring . Thanks goodness nothing much was damaged. I had already cut it out and replaced part of it before I realized it was a "resistance' wire. It seems to have about 10m ohms of resistance. I appreciate your comments .

walt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.