Turn off top-of-screen reply bar? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member

Turn off top-of-screen reply bar?

Could we get rid of that reply bar at the top? There's already a reply button after the last post, as well as the quick reply frame with its own "quick reply" and "go advanced" buttons. Why have yet another button? (Besides, let's be honest- people should have to scroll past other replies in a conversation before saying something that might have already been said.)

This extra reply button is not just unnecessary; it's actually getting in the way. When a thread is first opened, the bar can be seen above the first post. But as I scroll down, the bar "floats" at the top of my screen, reducing how much screen area is available for reading. Not only that, but it messes with one of my favorite features of the forum: the "go to first new post" feature that lets me jump back into a thread right at the point where I left off on my last visit. All I have to do is click that little chevron icon next to the thread title to skip past posts that I've already read. But when I do that, the first lines of the first unread post are blocked by that bar. Despite taking me directly to the first unread post, it makes me have to scroll up a little to start reading it (see attached screenshots where the bar obscures the entire first paragraph of Grimbrand's post until I scroll up to reveal it).

I see that the reply bar also has a link for Tweeting, and to be fair I don't see any other options for Tweeting a thread. But is that a feature that anybody actually uses? I don't, and I would gladly sacrifice that option just to get this annoying bar out of my way.

Is there anything I can do on my end that I'm overlooking? I can't find a setting anywhere in my user control panel to turn the bar off. I think it has to be switched off behind-the-scenes, by whomever has access to that sort of thing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	afmreplybar.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	599593   Click image for larger version

Name:	afmreplybar2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	599601  

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 04-30-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018
PONY Member

LOL just ignore it, I never even noticed it or was bothered by it in any way.
BTW if this is the biggest problem you face you have nothing to worry about.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member

I'm sorry, did you say something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	afmreplybar3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	599633  

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018
PONY Member

Apology accepted.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018
Site Administrator

Hi there,

Unfortunately, this is a feature of the skin and won't be removed. You could try switching to the classic skin (Drop down menu at the bottom left of your screen) this feature isn't in use on that skin.

Niall

Site Administrator
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018
PONY Member

I just want to say thanks. I mean that sarcastically. I have never ever noticed that reply bar before, ever, not once. Now I can't stop looking at it. It's highly annoying now.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member

Skin switched. (Oof, that's bright! I don't know which is worse... I might have to switch it back. Tough choice.)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018
Site Administrator

LOL! Well, at least there are options!

Cheers,

Erik

Site Administrator
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member

Well, I found a way around the classic theme's brightness, but it's a little clunky.

There are both light and dark versions of the "Full" theme with that annoying reply bar, but since Classic is currently only available with light mode, I downloaded a browser extension to turn things down a notch. It's not perfect, as it seems to have a tendency to conflict with certain icons and stuff. But at least it makes these posts a lot easier on the eyes. I've set it up to use almost the exact same text & background colors as the forum's "Full Dark" theme.

Site Administrator

Glad you were able to figure out a suitable workaround @Urambo Tauro

Cheers,

Erik

Site Administrator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page